Best Chicken Mix Projects (Anyone who has done a project can post here)

Marraduna Euskal Oilarra over hatchery Black Giant hens... These girls started laying at 24 weeks and have been awesome winter layers, no supplemental lighting. The two roosters were absolutely delicious, dressing out at 5lbs @ 28 weeks.

Love the coloration on that boy...almost a barred birchen. I have a youngster from my mixed bag of eggs that looks alot like your boy but too young to tell gender yet. Hatched from my black EE hen x silver leghorn hen covered by my Basque roo 'El Cid'. (He is crele instead of true Marraduna.) I'll have to get a picture of my baby to post and see if (s)he looks like your boy did as a youngster.

Here are two male columbian project birds that I have placed in two pairs attemting to create a bantam line of Columbian Ameraucana. I've had a line of Birchen Ameraucana since 1993. I've worked with the Birchen line through the years to improve egg color and pea combs. Of course, the Birchen are not an accepted color variety of Ameraucana but their counter parts (Brown Red Ameraucana) are. I purchased some Black Gold (not a recognized ameraucana color variety but many ameraucana memebers are working on them) from Wayne Gritter. The Black Gold are created from crosses of Buff Ameraucana X Brown Red Ameraucana and then crossed back to Brown Red to create an overly laced looking Brown Red Ameraucana called Black Gold. I was attempting to create a silver laced version of the Black Gold that I call Black Silver, which, is black birchen overly laced. I believe when I crossed the Black Gold birds into my Birchen line the 'co' (columbian) gene was introduced as I've read Buff Ameraucana carry the 'co' gene. Thus, out of my Birchen line came a male columbian bird that I saved for this project. I was working on one project which led to another project! LOL
I crossed the Columbian male bird to a columbian easter egger to create one line. And the second line was created from mating the male columbian to a pure bantam silver ameraucana hen. The top rooster is from the easter egger cross and the bottom rooster is from the silver ameraucana cross. These two roosters do not have good body type but they do have good pea combs, good slate/blue legs, favorable columbian color pattern, and were hatched from greenish-blue eggs on the easter egger line, and blue eggs from the silver ameraucana line. Waiting to see what the summer of 2013 will produce from these two lines. Hoping to select birds with better body type, better color pattern. Also, curious to observe what color of eggs the next generation of hens will lay.

Beautiful birds!

I have this hen from an EE of the Brown Leghorn type x Silver Leghorn male.

Don't know where she got the lovely white/buff lacing from but I'd love to figure out how to get more of it. I would love to breed some buff or dun laced wyandottes but don't have time for another project
D.gif
right now. Busy with getting the Cream Legbar and Basques correct. Would also like to start an Isabelle Ameraucana if I can find correct wheaten hens. Sigh.

Anyways, back from the tangent, anyone have any RIR or BR mixes? Also, oriental and long tail birds would be nice.

Anyways, back from the tangent, anyone have any RIR or BR mixes? Also, oriental and long tail birds would be nice.
I don't have any now. If you use a RIR rooster over BR hens you'll get Black Sex LInks.
BR rooster over RIR hens usually will get you all barred. There are always exceptions to the rule.

Just set a dozen mixed eggs yesterday with my broody Ameraucana. 3 EE's, 2 White Leghorn x Ameraucana/EE's, 5 Cinnamon queen cross, and 3 Barred Rock cross. The fathers of those last 7 could be EE or Light Brahma. 20 more days!

Back
Top Bottom