best chicken soup recipe

spookykim

Songster
11 Years
Jul 16, 2008
Ohio
I am looking for a good chicken soup recipe. everytime I make it it comes out nasty and I always end up with no broth.

rhandi's rid of that rowdy rooster soup...

1. catch said rooster and do 'the do'
2. when rooster looks like food, put in pot, cover with water. bring to boil. simmer about 1 hour.
3. and onion, celery and carrots all chopped in chunks. simmer until meat starts falling off bone.
4. drain through colander to get all bones and other weird items OUT of soup. save the broth...i know, duh!
5. put all (but weird stuff and bones) back in pot.
6. add noodles or dumplings or rice or potatoes or another rowdy rooster at this point.
7. simmer until all that junk is soft
8. add salt, pepper and rosemary to taste

oh yeah, roosters is good eatin'!big_smile

make it in a stock pot and leave the chicken WHOLE, then cover with the water, that way you have lots of broth. save the bones and put them in a crock pot and cover again with water and add another onion and celery, seasoning etc and put on 'low' all day and have a second pot of broth for another day!

You need good stock to start with. With a good rich stock it is really easy to make soup. It tastes so much better than canned.
Here's what I do-- I take a roasted chicken carcass (bones) that I have removed the meat from. I reserve most of the meat to add back in when it is soup. Meat cooked to make stock loses it's flavor and dries out so should be discarded (or fed to the dog/cat).

In a large stock pot cover the chicken carcass with COLD water.

Add 1"diced, or larger, carrot, celery and onion. I don't measure but usually about 2-3 stalks of celery and 2-3 carrots and then double the amount of onion,diced.

Add 2 parsley stems, a sprig or two of thyme, 10 or so whole peppercorns, a bay leaf, or whichever of these you have on hand.

Bring to a boil and immediately turn down to a slow simmer.If it boils for too long or you start with hot water your stock will be cloudy. this won't affect the flavor though just the appearance. Simmer for several hours, sometimes I leave it on all day. It will reduce, this is fine-- do not add more water.

When you taste it at this point it may not taste like much. This is because you need to add salt to bring out the flavor. Strain through a fine mesh strainer. Add salt to taste. If you want to defat the stock then refrigerate until cold and skim the fat off. (I save my fat for Matzoh balls--nothing wasted!)

At this point it will be very easy to turn this into soup. This is how it make mine sometimes.

Chicken stock, large can cream of chicken soup, water ( you will have to play with the amount of stock and water-- just taste and go from there-- I never measure this) in a large stock pot.

Heat to a boil and add 1 pkg Grandma's frozen egg noodles (follow pkg. directions to defrost) and boil until noodles are done, which takes longer than the pkg says.

Add chicken meat back in. I leave my meat in fairly big pcs. Heat until chicken is hot. That's it! You could add frozen veggies at this point too.

Be careful that you have enough stock because the noodles will soak up a lot especially after sitting in the fridge.

yeah I always had enough broth before I put it in the fridge then the next day I had none. thanks for the recipe.

My chicken soups are never the same twice because they're "kitchen sink" soups - anything in the fridge gets thrown in!

Tonight's recipe:
broth made from a chicken carcass last weekend
leftover meat from said carcass
1 Onion, diced, then brown in oil
celery - smallish stalk from farmer's market, diced & thrown in with onion
3 carrots, diced
leftover roasted veggies from when I roasted chicken
~2 cups leftover brown rice
6-7 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
4 fingerling potatoes, diced
thyme
salt

Bring to boil, let go ~20 minutes, dinner is ready!

Dicing the veggies is important because it will allow them to cook quickly.

My tonights' recipe was:

First, saute a large onion or two. Dump in 5 cloves minced garlic, 1-2 minced chilis, 1/2 tsp gr. cumin, oregano, 1 lb shredded chicken (or diced or whatever, I prefer shredded), 4 cups chopped fresh or canned tomatoes, 3-6 cups veggie or chicken stock (for if you like lots of juice!), 1 can corn or fresh, or frozen, 1/3 cup lime or lemon juice, cilantro to taste.

Heat it and eat it! Good for sinuses, too!!

Serve with plenty of tortilla chips.
tongue.png
tongue.png
tongue.png
tongue.png

DH and I love the stuff!!!

This is DH's favorite chicken soup. It's delish and easy and I make it alot during the winter months. Makes good use of those turkey leftovers after Thanksgiving too. We had this soup at a little restaurant that served it as their "Soup of the Day" along with their salad bar. We loved it so much, I asked for the recipe and they brought it out to me written on the back of a produce receipt, LOL. Natually, they gave me the condensed, family sized version.

Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup

4 tablespoons butter or margaine
1 large onion, choppped
4-6 celery ribs, diced
3 cups cooked diced chicken
3 (14 1/2 oz.) cans chicken stock (can use homemade, I do)
1 can cream of mushroom soup (undiluted)
1 can cream of chicken soup (undiluted)
12 oz. uncooked fettuccine pasta, broken into 2" pieces
6 medium carrots, diced
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
4 cups milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (8 oz.)

Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion and celery and saute until tender.
Stir in chicken and next nine ingredients; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes.
Stir in milk and return to simmer.
Sprinkle with cheese.
If you like a thinner soup, add more milk or water as desired.

We eat it with a salad, just like we did at the restaurant where we first enjoyed it.

Quick question, can I put the stock in canning jars while its hot and can it? I also want to do the same for the chicken soup as we usualy have alot left over and we just put it in the fridge and eat it through out the week:D, but I want to try and can some of it. Is that ok also:/.

I started cooking the noodles seperately and let everyone put them in the soup at the table. Otherwise, no matter what I do there is not enough broth. This also really helps it store better.

You all have it all wrong. You have to SLOW COOK!!!!

Updated 1/26/09

Take a fresh chicken or carcuss.(2 -3 pounds of chicken for a 6 qt crock)
Throw it in your crock pot.
Add 2 onions, a few cloves of garlic and salt and pepper

Simmer on low for 24 hours

Strain

You now have a stock. If it's lighter(more yellow) then just use it as is. If it's
darker than you can dilute it with water if using for another recipe or a great
side dish or apetizer is a good stock over egg or wheat noodles.

Now to make soup:

Pick the meat off the bones and return to slow cooker

Add 6 to 8 carrots and 6 celery stalks.
Fresh spices like parsley, basil, or even a bay leaf can be thrown in now too.

Cook on high for 2 hours

I love potatoes in soup. Add cut up tators after the first hour on high.

At the end of two hours you can add any leafy green such as romaine,
spinach, escarole, kale, etc...

Cook on high for 30 more minutes adding salt and pepper to suit your taste.

While it's cooking you can make yourself a good egg noodle. Chicken soup
over eggs noodles is SO GOOD. We like it over rice too.

Oh, and don't forget a loaf of bread!!!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom