Best/Cleanest Way to Give Yogurt to Chicks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by EggDropSoup, Sep 13, 2012.

1. EggDropSoup

EggDropSoup Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Hi all--

I just got my first batch of chicks yesterday and I'd love to give them some plain yogurt. Yesterday, I gave them some in a jar lid, and they loved it, but they made a terrible mess of themselves and the brooder (one chick BELLY FLOPPED into the yogurt). Is there a better way to give them yogurt?? I won't be leaving it in the brooder with them--I plan on watching them and taking it out after about twenty minutes. I tried to give them some this morning on a saucer, but again, they just ran through it, laid in it, stood in it, etc. Any ideas or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    If there's a better way, I haven't heard of it - what you describe sounds like every yogurt session I've ever had [​IMG]

3. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    Mix it with their regular crumbles it gives them something to grab onto also a deep bowl is better than a pan, it forces them to dip into it vs. standing in it and making a huge mess....

4. HouseCat

HouseCat Chillin' With My Peeps

I take a few spoonfuls and splat it against a board, then lean the board on a 45 degree angle against the wall of their cage. If it's thin enough, it won't run down the board and they'll just stand there and eat it up. I've also mixed it into their crumbles and that worked out too.

5. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    We never fed it to the chicks but part of the fun of feeding it to the big girls is seeing who wears the most![​IMG] We usually use a small kitchen dish and before it is all gone most of them end up with it all over their heads and wattles. I guess it is a little like cat nip for chickens.

6. EggDropSoup

EggDropSoup Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Tonight, I had about six chicks who practically bathed themselves in yogurt! [​IMG] I've got an idea, though. I'm going to take a couple of small ceramic custard dishes I have, put yogurt in them, and then slip those into the chick's feed trough. That way, all they can do is stick their heads in there like they would to eat their normal crumbles, and they won't be able to get their entire body into the act!

7. egg-lady

egg-lady Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    Lincoln, Ca
    i cut a watermelon or cantalope in half. cut up the inside for kids and put yougart w/ raisins and sunflowers seeds on top. they love it.

8. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Deeper dish and mix with there food . Best way to do it. Also do the same for chicks. Mix with crumble feed. I also soap alphalfa pellets and then add yogert and crumble.

9. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    Yep, that's the best part. I put it in a cereal bowl type dish...deep enough they don't usually get IN it, but then I step back quickly, or end up with a yogurt shower, LOL

10. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Same happens with watermelon rind. I like the "desert bowl" idea mentioned above. Put all their favorites together and watch the feeding frenzy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by