1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best container to give food scraps in

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mi2bugz, Nov 5, 2013.

1. mi2bugz

mi2bugz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    Today I gave the chicks some spaghetti and cooked carrots in an aluminum pan. Not a good idea! They spilled it everywhere! What container do you find is best? Do you pick up the spillage the same day or let them nibble on it for a day or two? I thought pick up same day to minimize rodent issues,

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Have some big heavy ceramic dog bowls that I like for that sort of thing, the chickens don't weigh enough to turn them over. The chickens generally don't leave much, but with stuff like cantaloupe rinds where they eat the insides but won't eat the whole thing I usually try and pick it up the same day to avoid flys etc. As you said, if there are rodents around, you don't want to leave anything out overnight that might attract them.

3. mi2bugz

mi2bugz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    Great idea! Thank you

4. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    I use a round bird seed tray (it looks like a 6 inch flower pot saucer with holes in it). I hang it from the run ceiling. It hangs about 8 inches off the ground. Any food that sits on the ground will have ants in it in about 20 minutes. Geeez I hate ants!!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I throw everything on the ground. They're chickens, they're used to eating off the ground. Feeders are a human thing. With as many birds as I have, I'd have to have several treat feeders to let everyone get a chance. This way, I toss scraps in a long row and everyone gets a chance to get in and get a goodie.

1 person likes this.
  6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I throw kitchen scraps over the fence to them on the ground. I am careful to only give them what they can completely clean up that day.

Moldy food can kill chickens, so what you want to avoid is mold.

7. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I use the ground. If it is something wet, like oatmeal or rice, I use paper plates. They might eat some of the plate, but it won't kill them. (At least mine haven't!) I sometimes use cool whip dishes for liquid. My chickens are usually pretty good at eating everything in one sitting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by