Best Coop Bedding??

What is the best bedding for coop floors?

• Wood Shavings

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Pine Shavings

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • Aspen Shavings

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sand

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Hay

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Straw

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Pea Gravel

• Pine Straw

• Wood Pellets

• Shredded Newspaper

• Total voters
We tried the shavings, but I am pretty sure my girls like hay the best. It's easy to clean because it's lightweight, can be picked up and the droppings fall to the floor to be shoveled out. Also, a little goes a long way as far as fluffiness in the nest boxes. The girls dig around in it and make everything perfect, then start all over the next day after I've cleaned and put some fresh handfuls in there. Also, it smells nice.

I'm just using a couple inches deep of straight PDZ in my coop. One bag filled my tiny coop. It works great; easy to keep clean with a kitty litter scooper, and no smell whatsoever. My chicks are still so small that they sleep on the floor under the heater so really, the coop is functioning more like a brooder right now. Once they are using the roost I might add a poop tray and then put PDZ in there and use shavings + PDZ everywhere else.

I'm just using a couple inches deep of straight PDZ in my coop. One bag filled my tiny coop. It works great; easy to keep clean with a kitty litter scooper, and no smell whatsoever. My chicks are still so small that they sleep on the floor under the heater so really, the coop is functioning more like a brooder right now. Once they are using the roost I might add a poop tray and then put PDZ in there and use shavings + PDZ everywhere else.

I have PDZ in my poop tray and it works out good so far. A couple of them were even dust bathing in it

But is it ok to make it the "bedding" in the coop and not just for in the poop tray??!!??
I use straight PDZ as the bedding, but I'm new to chickens and not sure you're really supposed to. I've been scouring this site and haven't really found a definitive answer. There are definitely people using sand + PDZ as the bedding. The Chicken Chick does it. You can do a search for "sand" on her site. I can't seem to post the link.

I use straight PDZ as the bedding, but I'm new to chickens and not sure you're really supposed to. I've been scouring this site and haven't really found a definitive answer. There are definitely people using sand + PDZ as the bedding. The Chicken Chick does it. You can do a search for "sand" on her site. I can't seem to post the link.
Thanks ill go check it out!!
thumbsup.gif

I use pine shavings in the coop, and cover part of their large extended run in local grass hay (the rest is green grass and dirt). Has worked fine for me so far. I'm new to chickens and have had them only since April, so we'll see how it works in our wet winter. I may switch to sand.

Last edited:
I use pine shavings in the coop, and cover part of their large extended run in local grass hay (the rest is green grass and dirt). Has worked fine for me so far. I'm new to chickens and have had them only since April, so we'll see how it works in our wet winter. I may switch to sand.
Yes i think that pine shavings are a good option but i think that having sand and PDZ mixture so i could just scoop out the poop with a cat litter scoop and not have to throw out all the shavings when i clean but i think that i would switch to shavings come winter time!

Jack, my coop is fairly small and very easy to keep clean. My husband thinks I'm nutty, but I pick up the poop every evening in the coop and the extended run. Just use a glove or a plastic bag over my hand and into the waste bucket. Takes a couple of minutes, and my girls like to follow me around discussing the busy and exciting day they had.

Back
Top Bottom