Best Coop Bedding

timmersgal

Chirping
Aug 6, 2019
Southern California
I have read many tales of which is the right and wrong kind of bedding for the coop and run.
I am in the process of building our first coop. would like to start off on the right foot so to speak.

I use pine shavings for my bedding and it’s perfect! It keeps the coop smelling decent and it catches all the chicken poop. Make sure to get the chip size not the thin pieces.
Yep I use the pine shavings from tractor supply (white bag) and it works great. It doesn't usually smell except under the roost after a few days, but I just stir it with the other shavings. Also in the winter sometimes I throw a little straw into a pile,and they love kicking it everywhere!

I don't believe there is a single "best" option as everyone's set ups are different. Like I use wood chips as they're free for me and can easily be cleaned out into the run as part of the run litter.

I have read many tales of which is the right and wrong kind of bedding for the coop and run.
I am in the process of building our first coop. would like to start off on the right foot so to speak.
What's 'right' is what works best for you and your setup.
Climate can play a big role.

Welcome to BYC! @timmersgal
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-2_18-1-10.png

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture

-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.

-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.

-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.

- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.

-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).

There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.

That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom