best de-wormer for tape worms?

kukupecpec

Songster
10 Years
Aug 24, 2012
Tucson AZ
Hey there!

So I'm a vet tech student and we were working on fecal analyses and i found some eggs in my chickens caecal poop. We've identified them as a micro tapeworm called Hymenolepis Nana. Awesome to watch squirm around under the microscope... Not so awesome to know that's what is making my poor roo shed intestines on his poop. And just as a bonus, its one
f the most common tapeworm found in humans! So we all get to get checked out too.

I was hoping someone would know a good dewormer for tapeworms?
Is there anything i can just pick up from the feed store?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey there!
So I'm a vet tech student and we were working on fecal analyses and i found some eggs in my chickens caecal poop. We've identified them as a micro tapeworm called Hymenolepis Nana. Awesome to watch squirm around under the microscope... Not so awesome to know that's what is making my poor roo shed intestines on his poop. And just as a bonus, its one
f the most common tapeworm found in humans! So we all get to get checked out too.
I was hoping someone would know a good dewormer for tapeworms?
Is there anything i can just pick up from the feed store?
Thanks!

The Dwarf Tapeworm you mentioned infects humans and rats mainly, children are especially at risk from what I've read. However, the intermediate host are bugs. Chickens love to eat bugs. Praziquantel is the preferred treatment in humans, same for chickens. Valbazen will work too, but praziquantel is recommended in this instance.
I recommend that you purchase Zimectrin Gold equine wormer. It an equine paste sold in feed stores. It contains ivermectin and praziquantel. The praziquantel will kill the tapes. Dosage is a "pea" size amount of paste given orally to each of your chickens. Repeat dosing them again in 10 days.
The paste is orange in color and birds will wipe their beaks on the ground after giving it to them, this is normal.

Last edited:
There is one other drug that gets tapes, Praziquantil (Droncit), but I don't think you'll find that at a feed store unless you buy the horse wormer that is Ivermectin and Praziquantil (Zimecterin Gold, I think), but I would not suggest using it on poultry.

Other than tubes of paste wormer, the only wormers you will find at a feed store are Wazine (piperazine) and Safeguard (Fenbendazole).

For dosing, check out this link: http://www.scribd.com/doc/72234998/Plumb-s-Veterinary-Drug-Handbook-Sixth-Edition

Last edited:
There is one other drug that gets tapes, Praziquantil (Droncit), but I don't think you'll find that at a feed store unless you buy the horse wormer that is Ivermectin and Praziquantil (Zimecterin Gold, I think), but I would not suggest using it on poultry.

Other than tubes of paste wormer, the only wormers you will find at a feed store are Wazine (piperazine) and Safeguard (Fenbendazole).

For dosing, check out this link:

I've used Z-Gold on my birds against tapes... it works, a pea sized amount. Valbazen works as well but in higher doses with several administrations orally over several days, including withholding feed for 24 hours prior to dosing.

I forgot to mention that these are seramas so they are incredibly small. I assume i would give a smaller dose but i thought i would check just in case its too strong for such a small bird.

I've used Z-Gold on my birds against tapes... it works, a pea sized amount. Valbazen works as well but in higher doses with several administrations orally over several days, including withholding feed for 24 hours prior to dosing.

I don't doubt you, and I'd probably use it if I didn't have anything else. I was not comfortable telling someone to do something that I haven't researched. I'm lucky in that I have Fenbendazole (paste and liquid), Praziquantil liquid, Pyrantal Pamoate liquid, Ivermectin (injectable and paste) and Zimecterin Gold, all I need now is some Valbazen. :D

I forgot to mention that these are seramas so they are incredibly small. I assume i would give a smaller dose but i thought i would check just in case its too strong for such a small bird.

Use a "BB" size amount to dose them. You can also use valbazen. Dose them orally 1/4cc, redose again in 7 days, then again in another 7 days.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom