Best deal on freeze dried meal worms?

Yay Chicks!

Songster
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
Forest Grove, OR
Ok. So first off, do not judge me. I only have four hens in my backyard. It's not like I'm doing this for a flock of 40.

With the birds molting and all, I've gotten into the habit of throwing out a handful of freeze dried mealworms in the morning. Lots of protein and all (they are confined to the run the majority of the time.)

As of late, the feed store (Coastal) had been running pretty good deals on those tubs of Happy Hen Treats. But I went yesterday and they are out and not getting any more back in the the for seeable future.

Our other local feed store (Wilco) has them, but they are more expensive. Since those are my only two local feed store options, have you found other sorts of places have them? Do you buy them online without the shipping killing you?

Thanks.

I found a place I get them from and the shipping is free I will look it up and post. My girls love the mealworms. I got tired of paying the high prices at the feed store. Like you said they are high in protien and they do love them so.

http://www.mealwormsbythepound.com

They were very helpful on the phone and the shipping was fast.

Ps I got a ll lb bag and divided it up in to quart bags and sold them on the side made a few dollars and still sold them for less than the feed store.

So it helped support my Hens, meal worm HAbit

I've found dried mealworms at Lowes. I don't know the weight, but it's around 4 cups in volume, for about $6.

Don't make the same mistake I did & drop the container while feeding my girls. They had a extra large treat that time!

I just ordered a bulk 11 pound order of dried mealworms online today.

Believe me, I'm not one to judge…. I have 9 gals and they get a couple good handfuls of mealworms every day. If you treat your ladies often, you'll save quite a bit of money by buying in bulk. I store mine in two large metal buckets with tight fitting covers. Since I buy in bulk I don't have to order very often, so when I'm ready to restock, I find that if I Google, "mealworms for sale free shipping", I get the best price…it varies each time, and I've ordered mine from several different places over the last couple of years.

link removed by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I have six hens and a few quail. I buy 11lbs. at a time. It's about 73.00 shipping included.
I buy at exoticnutrition.com.

Thanks Bowman11,

I just purchased 11 pounds for $60.57 from Exoticnutrition thanks to your post! I got an extra 10% off using coupon code "
76957". I didn't have to pay sales tax. Depending on what state you live in you may pay more. Great deal, thanks again.​

I have gotten some but there expensive so I plan on breeding my own mealworms cheaper and u will soon have more than u know to do with and its not hard to freeze dry so u could give away what u don't need or sell. I feed mealworms to my turtle too.

do you ever have concerns that what you buy are not actual meal worms? like some fake something coming from china?

Back
Top Bottom