Best delivery method for Oyster Shell

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mibotsu, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    well, i just got some oyster shell in, as one of my quails lays a VERY thin shelled egg, its been stepped on a few times and lost it, anyway. Whats the best method anyone has seen to get them to eat it, i've heard people mixing it in with the sandboxes, or in with food maybe.

i really got no clue lol thanks all

2. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    i have mine offered by itself and i feel they take some when they need some. i know they go through it im not sure exactly how often they eat it i usually change it or clean it out before they empty it. id be curious to see how other folks offer it as well... [​IMG]

3. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Mix it with the feed. The only thing not mixed in here is the BOSS. I use that as a treat to get them to bed at night, being in Alaska their clock is a little off.

4. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    If it is in a format that they can actually eat, then sprinkle it on top of their feed, At a concentration of 99% high protein GBS, 1% or less oyster shell. You can also offer it free choice, or put it in their dust bath. It will make their bones stronger, but will not solve soft or no shell egg problems. Coturnix are not chickens. They do not need to eat a ton of oyster shell to build an egg shell.

Truth be told...A thimbles worth of kale trumps oyster shell. If you want to get extra calcium in your birds, then go that route. Just a suggestion.

5. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i put a small 1oz ramekin in there with some, gonna see what they do

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:X2

Mine don't eat much of it either. I keep in on the side in a small bowl and the girls take what they need. [​IMG]

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I fill their dust baths with oyster shell and they won't lay without the oystershell. No spilling. They bath and eat the oystershells. ALso it's a bonus when they find a mealworm in there.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I also put mine in their dusting pans. They eat some and wear the rest [​IMG]

9. LivingRootsFarm

LivingRootsFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Samsula
    I used to put it in another dish but they kept knocking it over. Now I put it in their sand box and them seem to peck around at it and bath in it.

10. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:My coturnix lay on 30% protein PM GBS, tap water and some play sand from HOME DEPOT. Nothing else. Must be something in my tap water, because I had fine eggs long before I found overpriced "OYSTER-SHELL" in a format my birds could acutely eat.
    Please don't say "they won't lay without the oystershell" because that is totally untrue!

Coturnix will also lay eggs without ever eating a single meal worm, or ingesting any amount of boiled egg, or ground up cat food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by