Best dog breed around chickens? UPDATE post #117 Thanks all!

I would have to say go with a livestock guardian breed -- herding breeds do have prey drive and do have to be trained to leave poultry alone. Most of them are smart enough to learn, and some of them are good, but I would never trust a herding breed alone with poultry, and most of them not with sheep or other small stock, either, without supervision. The only exception would be some English Shepherds and Australian Shepherds.

I've had several Great Pyrenees and a Maremma (another LGD breed) and they are good dogs, but they do challenge the fences. My experience has been that the females are the ones that get out and run around more than the males. They do bark a lot at night, too, which may not bother you (it doesn't bother me) but might bother close neighbors (this is why I don't have one now, as we are in a rural subdivision of one-acre lots -- neighbors are VERY close). Someday I'll have livestock guardian dogs again, and when I do it will either be Great Pyrenees or Anatolians (I prefer the shorter coat on the Anatolians). Even these, however, need to be taught to leave the poultry alone when they are pups. Once their minds mature, you should be able to trust them with your stock, but as pups they want to play and can do some damage, so do need supervision and correction. There is an investment of time and energy into any new dog -- since you've had a lot of experience with dogs, you already know that, but I'm mentioning it for those who don't know.

Someone up there mentioned Dalmations. I don't know how they would be with poultry; they are sweet dogs, but high energy. However, the original poster wants a breed able to live outdoors and protect her animals even in the winter, and I think I've gathered that she lives in Montana, which does not have mild winters! Dalmations have such short, close coats that they shiver even in the forty-degree range (F). We had one briefly in NH -- taking care of it for someone else -- and I couldn't put her outdoors until the sun was well up by late September, or she'd be shivering. While they have good qualities -- the one we cared for was a sweetheart, very responsive -- I don't think they'd make an ideal outdoor livestock guardian in Montana! Ditto for Yorkies, LOL! (Can't believe someone suggested that, LOL! Even if they were up to living outdoors, they are terriers, bred for hunting rats, not guarding poultry!)

I've seen this kind of thread many times over the years -- not just here or about dogs, but about other kinds of animals, or places, etc. People don't seem to pay much attention to the original poster's needs and criteria, but just start off about THEIR own favorite this or that. It's kind of like the real estate agent who doesn't listen to your criteria for a new home/farm, but just starts out showing you what he or she thinks you should have! (And I've met a few like that -- didn't stick with them for very long, though, LOL! We told one realtor that we were looking for a minimum of forty acres of land, partly wooded and partly open, and he insisted that we wanted one or two acres with a house on it! Needless to say, we didn't use him to buy a place!)

Kathleen

ETA: to the person who insisted that the original poster should only get her new dog from a humane society or rescue --- most livestock guardian dogs aren't being raised for show. They are being bred, and raised, to do a job. IMO, dogs that have been 'given up' aren't nearly as likely to be suitable for this purpose. It's a crap-shoot, because you don't know what their parents were bred for, especially with Great Pyrenees (which often *are* bred for show). Far better to carefully select pups from known working parents. Getting a rescue dog has it's place, but seldom is that place going to be serving as a livestock guardian.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the clear and to the point response
smile.png
We had pretty much set our minds on getting an Anatolian Shepherd or AS cross and were searching for a breeder when we found a woman up the way who crosses Great Pyrenees and Newfoundland. Very, very intriguing cross. We had decided against the GP because of their tendency to wander off (and the long hair). We just kept hearing this over and over and over again, even from die hard GP lovers. From what I can gather, the AS has more of a need to stay with the flock, though, as always, early training is needed and good fencing. Both breeds worried us a little with the barking - barking at a threat is great, barking all night to warn any would-be intruders is great for the flock, but a bit annoying. Still, rather that to loosing chickens. anyway, when I asked this woman how she came to be breeding the GP/ NF, she said she started out years ago with Pyrenees and loved loved loved them except for the fact that they would wander off - she never had enough land to satisfy her dogs, even on 40 acres. Through trial and error, she has come to this mix that she just swears by. According to this woman, the cross is far happier to just stay on the property, is protective of the livestock and property without being picky about visitors, and barks at night only when they seriously think there is something out there to warn off, not just in case there happens to be something out there somewhere..... Sounds perfect, right? According to the woman who wants me to buy one of her pups!! Anyway, what do you think? I am worried about a Newfoundland cross not being happy to be left alone at night, or when we take off for a full day away. We are out with the animals all day long when we are home, so any dog we have will have lots of human interaction. I want a happy dog, doing what it was bred to do and happy free ranging chickens who are not sitting "ducks" to the wildlife and the two ^^%$##%* Jack -Russel Terrors who keep appearing out of thin air (and disappearing just as quickly). So, what do you think of this cross?

Last edited:
And I have enjoyed all the stories about the different dogs out there protecting or not protecting their chickens, whichever the case may be. This whole idea of having a working dog is new to us, as our dogs have always been our ever present family companions bonded to our hips practically. It has been VERY helpful hearing of other working dogs and how they get along. Thanks for all the help, great pictures, and funny (some sad) stories.

The wind blew my back gate open today and my chickens got into the front yard. The neighbors dog tried to kill them...it was a schnauzer. Luckily we only had one lose her tail feathers and a cut on another girl's leg. I would have to say that schnauzer's should NOT be trusted around chickens!

Completely training. I strongly believe that any dog, easier if started as a pup, can be good with chickens. Its a matter of behavior training. I have a heeler who is good with the chickens, would never leave him unattended but when I'm there he has even been known to sun bathe with them.

My beagle is afraid of my chicks lol I have just a couple chicks in the house and my 3 week old white giant cockerl tryed to fly onto his back and her was across the house in no time flat. lol I have a feeling I will go with a GP female or GP AS cross when I need a gaurd dog.

And here they are!!!!!!!
celebrate.gif
After so much reading and talking and deciding and un-deciding, and then searching and searching and searching ......... then waiting and waiting and waiting....... We have a brother and sister 3/4 Anatolian Shepherd/ 1/4 Great Pyrenees pair !!!!!!!!!!! We are so thrilled with the two of them. They are five months old and have been with us for a week now. So far, they are just incredible. We had read so much about training and bonding these dogs with the flock and were all set and ready to go to great pains to do it all right, but, boy, they are just making it all too easy for us. The most difficult part of it all so far has been working on the "come" command, especially with the boy, "Casper." He is STUBBORN, but his instincts with the flock and my children are dead on (but I would still never leave my kids unattended, no matter how gentle he is). The girl, "Calli" is just a sweet push over and, again, is so good with the chickens and the children. The most amazing part of it all to me is their instinct to protect against the hawks. Never have I seen anything like it - they can be in full fledged play mode and stop mid body-slam to lock gaze on a hawk flying by. They do not take their eyes off that bird until it is out of sight. The biggest problem is that they chew on EVERYTHING, and I do mean everything. I hope our fence posts survive. Anyhow, thanks to all who chimed in to tell about your Canine buddies. I never would have found these Anatolian Shepherds if I had not heard so much about them through this post. It's been fun!

"Calli" the girl.
46473_calli_to_post.jpg

"Casper" the boy
46473_casper_to_post.jpg

Did I mention they like chicken food? We're working on that little problem.....
46473_eating_chicken_food.jpg

Some of the girls debating over the new arrivals.
46473_girls_observing.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom