Best dog breed around chickens? UPDATE post #117 Thanks all!

Any dog is safe to have around chickens if it's smart enough to learn what's yours and that what's yours is not to be bothered, especially your other animals. I seriously doubt that our two corgis would ever try to protect one of our chickens, but I'm 99.99% sure that they would never intentionally hurt one of them. There are lots of dogs though that if introduced to small chicks and made to understand that those chicks are theirs too and part of your family, they will protect them.

Quote:
You're the second person in this thread to say that they have read great things about this breed and my husband and I spent hours last night looking into this them. Very, very, very intriguing. Do you have a breeder in mind? We could not find a single Anatolian Shepard breeder here in Montana and don't exactly know how to go about getting an out of state puppy... I'm sure we can figure it out, though, if we decide that this is THE dog for us. Have you ever met one in real life?

I guess I can chime in on this, I have Rough Collie who is great with the chickens. She watches over them when she is outside, some of the banties ride on her back, and they all follow her around. She has attacked (and killed) a raccoon (though I would not recommend sending a dog after one). They are generally good with children. Most of our property is not fenced and she stays very close, however, she does have storm anxiety (which seems to be fairly common with some of the collies I have met). I also have a Newfoundland puppy. If you are wanting a dog that does well with children, there is no better dog. She is still learning that chickens do not appreciate being chased around. At five and a half months I can trust her off leash, but I do still have to watch her. A few have mentioned Anatolian Shepherds, I would love one for guarding, but for playing with children I am not so sure. If you are wanting a dog just to guard the chickens then that is a great idea, but for a pet which will allow other children into the yard to play with your children I think I might steer away. No matter what breed you choose, training is key. My Newfoundland came from a breeder who had chickens, so she had seen them some. I introduced her, though the run, the day we brought her home. She seemed uninterested until I let them out of their run, at which point she went bonkers. It has taken a few months to get her to the point that I can put her in a stay and let the birds out without her chasing them. Biggest thing is to have fun with any new dog you choose, and make sure it is well socialized with all the things you are going to have it around for the rest of its life.

Quote:
Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous dogs!!!!!!!!! I can not imagine, however, trying to keep one groomed, not while being outside all the time!

Quote:
Congrats on your newfoundland - there are no sweeter dogs on this planet. At this point we are absolutely looking for a working dog who can stay out with the chooks. A family companion dog will have to come another day. Of course we will love and adore whomever we bring home. The anatolian shepherd sounds perfect except for the children thing - it sounds like they will take our children under wing as part of their flock to be protected, sometimes protected against other children even
sad.png
I'd just love to hear from owners of this breed. All the websites say that socializing intensely and careful training can help avoid this problem, but I'd like to hear from owners about this, not people trying to sell their puppies.
wink.png

Hello, all!
I'm new here and noticing a post about dogs (my main obsession) and chickens (my new obsession), I had to add my two cents.
I've been planning a chicken coop and preparing to get chicks this summer. Been combing through the archives on BYC and learning a lot. I have a Great Dane, who loves nothing more than napping on the couch and generally being lazy. Because I'll be raising mostly meat chickens, they will be in a fenced-in run, but I'd also like a couple layers. Whether they will be able to free-range with my puppy off leash is the big question!! He doesn't have much of a prey-drive at all; if he chases a squirrel or a fox, it's for a few meters, then he gives up and moves on to his other business. But when he's playing in the yard he gets pretty crazy and has knocked me down multiple times. I'm thinking it will be best to keep the chickens fenced and out of his way, but I doubt he would actually try to chase or kill them. Most Great Danes I know are the same way: not too much instinctive prey drive, but really clumsy and overwhelming to smaller animals (and kids).
P.S: I've also learned on BYC that compost can be harmful to dogs if they eat it. So many things I don't know....

Yeah, if you are just looking for a guard dog, I personally love Anatolian Shepherds, but I always worry about those sorts of dog with kids that are not their own. Technically Newfoundland Dogs are working dogs (mine has a future in Draft, Water Rescue, and Therapy work), but I understand where you are coming from, they do not want to be left outside with birds. A smooth collie might work for you. They aren't quite as guard-ish, as an Anatolian, but they do get along well with children and can be left outside with your animals, and will chase off whatever goes bump in the night. They also don't require lots of grooming like a rough collie would. If you properly socialize whatever dog you get you could probably get by, but I would try and choose one designed for what you want it to do. If it weren't for the fear of an Anatolian or a Pyrenese mistaking other children for a threat I would think it was a great idea.

I have a Chesapeake Bay retriever. He was 3yrs when we first got chicks, now almost 7. He was very interested in them at first, but it took very little work, just a few verbal reprimands, to let him know he needed to leave them alone. Now he is more interested in finding where the Banties hide their eggs, before I do. I think retrievers are a good bet because of the soft mouth low pray drive.

Back
Top Bottom