best dog breed around chickens?

I have a great pyrenese golden mix and he is wonderful with the chickens, sheep and goats and cats and the kids. He is a wonderful dog, I sure wish I could find another just like him.

We have a setter that doesn't mind the chickens at all. But we had a stupid husky that would kill thousands if he could.

We have a boxer who is wonderful with our chickens. He was 7 years when we started into the chicken wonderland, and never once has worried us. HOwever, boxers are VERY loyal dogs and would not like living outside only. Our boxer is with us whereever we are.
smile.png

Quote:
I know about rescues. My parents' lab is from rescue. They're great. I'll look into both rescue and shelter.
yes2.gif
The dog won't only be outside, there's not enough room for that; I don't want an only inside dog.

Oblio: the bottom egg is from a dark chocolate/blue egger cross (ie Marans/Ameraucana cross)

Personally, I'd stay away from herding dogs....some are fine, but most will herd the chickens/nip them.

Also, stay away from sight hounds....

I would suggest a Pyr or Anatolian. Anything like that (Livestock Guardian Breed) should be good & not only that, but they will keep coyotes & foxes away, too!

We got our chickens when our lab was older. She was excellent with them - they used to climb all over her, etc. Now we have 2 German Shepard mix mutts and they are horrible - they will (and have) kill the chickens if I'm not right there with them. They have been raised with the chickens and I have spent lots of time teaching them that they are not to mess with the chickens, but it obviously hasn't been enough - apparently their instincts are just too strong. Now the terriers we have are hopeless!!!

Good luck - I'm sure you'll find a dog that will work well for you.

Lori

Take a squeaky toy with you and squeeze it behind your back. The ones that ignor the sound are the ones you want to check out. Although I have an English Springer Spaniel that the chicks walk all over. He and the jackrabbits have an agreement - he doesn't chase and they don't run. He does bring me the kangaroo rats the cats have injured. And the guinea pig was his best friend. He's an odd dog.

We have three dogs:

1. Our lab is WONDERFUL around the chickens. She wanders around and shows little interest in them. Granted she's 13 years old and has always been very mild-mannered.

2. Our Redtick Coonhound is NOT good around the chickens. She's kept on-leash all the time outside because if she's not chasing the chickens, she'll take off running through the fields. Her nose is always to the ground wanting to find something to hunt.

3. Our St. Bernard is "ok" with them. She's only been living with us for 6 months and is still learning about the chickens. I expect that she'll do fine as she gets a bit older. She's been more curious about them than aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom