Best Dog Breed for Chicken Protector

Quote:
Yes, but where they raised to protect chickens? or where the raised with sheep, goats, or cattle. Plus, as I said there are exceptions, but your more likely to get a good gaurd dog if you get a purebreed instead of a mutt. You have to raise them until they are about 5 mth untill you know they will be good gaurds or not, thats a long time to waste if they don't turn out to be good at their job, so I would like to incease my odds by getting a purebreed. Plus you can sell a purebreed, and can recoop some of your cost (mutts are not free, the local shelter is almost $100 for an adoption fee), I am trying to start a business not run a charity. I have plenty of rescue animals at home (I even have a three-legged shepherd mix), but for the farm I am going for purebreeds.
idunno.gif

I worked at an animal shelter for years and I understand the need to adopt animals, but I am not risking the life of my animals by getting a dog that I don't know the breeding of. I have seen dogs that are aggressive not because of how they are raised but because of genetics, there was a puppy born at the shelter I worked at that was aggressive from birth most likely because of server inbreeding. The poor thing went through trainer after trainer before she ended up nearly killing one of the foster care taker's other dogs when she was only a few months old and ended up being put to sleep
sad.png

In my opinion, a dog is best used as a deterrent to predators. I wouldn't want my dog in a fight with anything. My rough coat collie, Patsy, is wonderful with the chickens. When they were chicks, she'd let them snuggle in her fur. Now they are happy just to lay next to her.
55921_moma.jpg

Quote:
But those are both "guard type breeds" yes guard dogs still recieve training, but just basic type stuff, come, sit, stay and you have to teach them to stay with the herd or flock. Here is a good little article about sheep guard dogs. These are working dogs I am looking for, not pets, I have enough pet dogs none of which would make good guard dogs. I know some people may not like that.

"Livestock dogs should be taught basic commands such as “come,” “sit,” and “stay” and learn to walk on a leash and stand for a medical examination or a quick check in the pasture. They should also learn to tolerate people and the other farm animals, but they are not allowed the privileges of a pet because they must keep their minds on the sheep, not the couch or a game of fetch."

read the whole article here http://www.canismajor.com/dog/livestck.html#Train

Last edited:
Quote:
Awwww that’s cute! My mom has a sheltie and he is an awesome dog. I would have a hard time seeing one of my pet dogs get in a fight with anything, but I am not looking for another pet. This dog would live with the chickens. It is like how I have pet birds and then I have birds that are for meat, you just don't get attached.

For those that suggested a rooster or a larger bird like a turkey or goose, it might deter smaller predators but probably not a coyote or large stray dog.

Last edited:
I have a Maremma Sheepdog who lives with my animals. He runs off fox and would take after my other dogs if the fence weren't in the way (he feels they are a threat to his flock). He is a complete LGD. He doesn't come in the house nor does he associate with the rest of the dog pack on the farm. He eats, drinks, sleeps, and plays with the livestock (goats, chickens, turkeys, geese, and ducks) but loves his people. He started doing "patrols" at about 3 months old. Every evening he walks the fence line and returns to a spot in the middle of the pen and sits where he can see all of his "flock" and the surrounding woods/swamp. They are very thick coated dogs and look very similar to Great Pyrenese (I believe both breeds started from the same lines way back when). They do well in cold temps (I do live in interior Alaska after all) and are wonderful with people as long as they don't feel their flock is threatened.

Quote:
Thank You! I looked up the breed and while I think it might work for us its a toss up between the Maremma Sheepdog or the Anatolian Shepherd I might have trouble finding a local breeder though. If all else fails I was thinking about maybe getting a Great Pyrenese I know that there is at least one breeder in the area.

Dark Wolf,

I have been researching same issue. As far as I can determine, no dog breed has been bred specifically to guard poultry, at least not in U.S.. The game chicken guys (cockers) seem to have the most experience since birds they want protected have more monetory value than typical of the back yard bird. The live stock guarding dog breed that seems used most by cockers is the Great Pyreneese. The dogs are usually imprinted on poultry using same technique used for sheep, goats and cattle. Must be done properly or birds will be at risk from dog. You need to research this. The cockers also doing integrated pest management although they seem not to recognize or at least acknowledge they do. Birds and dogs in a pen which might encompass multiple acres. Pen impedes acces of some predators and provides boundry for dog. Containment of birds also keeps them "under nose" of dog. The cockers also use a the backup plan of taking care of predators themselves as needed. No single predator management tool alone gives complete protection all the time. It is a management system that ideally does not cost too much to operate.

Some dog breeds cost more than others to acquire and keep. That is why I am looking into breeds like border collies and katahulas. They are very intelligent and trainable. Observations related on many threads here suggest that with at least some parties, herding dogs can fit bill as poultry guard dogs. Smaller size means cheaper feed bill. Occasionally the live stock guard may have to confront predator directly, therefore coyotes might be a difficult adversary to beat one on one for smaller dog breeds. Most other predators will likely avoid area if dog can get to them.

Thank you that info is very helpful, we have some goats and sheep as well, it is just the chickens are our main consern because we plan to get so many of them. I am looking into fencing as well, the dog is just kind of backup if the fencing fails. I have read that herding breeds are not the best if you want to leave them to live with the flock because of their herding instinct.

Quote:
Thanks! I would prefer a herding dog just cause there are so many people from the subdivision going out and looking at my animals I would be worried about a guard dog maybe biting someone. While I have seen some pretty nippy herding dogs overall they seem to tollerate people better.

Back
Top Bottom