Best dual purpose breed for sustainability

As for food: I have 3.11 acres here, which is connected to my parents. We grow alot of things between both of our properties. fruit, veggies, culinary & medicinal herbs, and we intend on growing EVEN MORE, LOTS MORE in an effort to prepare if needed. Indeed, I am organizing a seed exchange in my area as I type this. We also have 80 or so acres.... but thats in the next county. My mother and I have been talking about growing more corn were we live. Food for any breed wouldnt be a problem overall.

So why am I crazy about those eggs? Their nutrition is worth more. Let the chickens eat the corn (just ONE example), and let them "throw" some eggs for a better "return."

In regards to my bantams!!! HAHAHAHA! oh goodness no! I am SO not getting enough eggs. The breeds I have arent known for their egg laying capabilities.

I was also looking into domiques, buckeyes, faverolles. (I think the first two might be better than the latter though in the range of foraging, IF I needed to let them do that).

I think the cubalayas sound AMAZING! OMGOLLY!

I trully do. But when I ran a search with my cell phone, it seemed alot of hatcheries have already sold out?

gallorojo, you were referring to standard Cubalayas and not bantam Cubalayas, correct? Seemingly, I can only find bantams for sale, since they are still quite rare... Well... I did locate on pair for sale... at a great distance of 4 hours away. and When gas is $3.80 where I live, YIKES!

I did get about 20 Buff orpington eggs, that way, if I cant find anything else, then at least I have somethings....

But.... those buckeyes... or the cubalayas... Those are the ones speaking to me I think.... Now. Where to find them?

Almost forgot:

Lets say I went Cubalaya:

People come. They are hungry. They want to steal my chickens.

If I needed to pen them up, can I do so if they have a BIG enough area? For example, I have a BIIIIG pole barn that currently has NO animals in it.

Same question for the Old English Bantams:

Can they be confined in a BIG area as well?

I know that sounds radical... And hopefully this would never be needed. But If I need to confine these birds and hide them, how woud each kind handle it?

ALSO:

are we talking old english game in bantam or standard?

are we talking cubalaya in bantam or standard?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Quote:
My Old English Game Bantams do fine well confined. I am definitely looking into Cubalayas. I think Icelandic chickens might also work well for you.

The breeds I have been looking into are:

Black Orpington (however, I can get 40+ buff orpingtons eggs right now for FREE)

Black Wyandotte

Black Austrolorpe (did I spell that right?)

PLEASE NOTE: I would be looking for more "utility" in the egg laying department over show quality. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Show qaulity chickens, but for this flock, my interest is SOLELY in production.

For me, the most important aspects are

GOOD egg production AND ability to brood.

I will keep a small flock of silkies as a brood back-up plan....

I hope that this doesn't sound paranoid. But I dont want to sit there and starve and think "man I wish I would have...."

Please let me know what ***YOU*** feel would be the best breed....

HOW!! do you get that many free!​

How about the Partridge Chantecler? They mature early, lay about 4 eggs per week, get around 8 pounds, will brood, are camouflage, very winter hardy (The breed was developed in Canada) and mine have excellent temperaments. They have quickly become our family favorite.

Other birds that seem good in my opinion are the Buckeye, Ameraucana, Russian Orloff, Dominique, Rosecombed Rhode Island White, and Wyandotte. I am also a fan of the Brahma, but in my opinion they mature to slowly to be a good sustainable fowl.

Last edited:
Javas!

What if the economy recovers completely, and you don't really need all those eggs and all that meat after all? With Javas, at least your efforts helped save an endangered breed.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/2002-02-01/Java-Chickens-Back-From-the-Brink.aspx

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/2/2-4/Michael_Dougherty.html

Plus, they're beautiful birds.

Good luck. With the medicare/medicaid cuts proposed, I suspect my income to be dramatically reduced this year. I'm investing in peas and beans. Lentils! Perfect protein and SOOOO easy!

I finally found some time to answer you, sorry for the wait.

Quote:
Another option , would be to stick with your smaller chicken breeds, and raise Muscovy ducks or Geese for a larger meat bird. Both can forage way more of their diet than a chicken ever can, especially geese. Very under-appreciated, geese can live on grass alone most of the year, and they get BIG!!

Back
Top Bottom