1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best Ducks for a small yard and chickens

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickenphile, Mar 18, 2009.

1. chickenphile

chickenphile Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Feura Bush, NY
    Might be opening the great debate here but would like some opinions? I know my local agway will be having ducks soon and am debating on getting some again. Woul hatch some eggs but the bator is full of chickens.[​IMG]

The ducks would have there own separate area and coop. (better start gathering some pallets)

Here are my options

Rouens
    Indian Runners
    Pekins
    Khaki cambells
    Muscovy

They only sell them straight run and I would want them for enjoyment and possiblly eggs eventually.

Will two males fight if raised together with no females around?

I don't want and I am sure my neighbors and wife would agree a quacking machine.

We have had calls and pekins but raccoons had a feast on them.

What would you guys suggest?

thanks
    Chris

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Muscovies don't make noise so that's probably your best bet if you don't want to hear quacking.

3. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Muscovies will fly off, so you'll have to pinion or keep their feathers clipped.

Rouens are too big and fat to fly, basically a domestic mallard.

Indian Runners are nice. =P
    But I'm biased. My girl QUACKS up a storm some times.
    (All drakes have a mostly silent "kwek-kwek" type call. Not noisy at all, sort of funny to hear.

Pekins are a meat breed, I don't think they go broody, or lay an especially large amount of eggs. I've also heard they are NOISY!

Khaki Campbells are fairly quiet, but a little highly strung. They are also the highest egg producer in the duck world (as far as I know).

Both my drakes could care less if the other got mauled by a raccoon...
    (As in, they really dislike eachother. Strongly.)

If you had free choice, I'd say to get Cayugas, Buffs, Khakis, Runners, Swedish... But you'd have to research more, I'm not an expert.

4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Hi and Welcome to the duck world.

I don't have a lot of time as I'm trying to get thru 34 pages of unread posts as quickly as possible so I can go take care of the birds and then feed myself. I guess I'm curious as to why you ask the question you did since it appears you've had ducks in the past.

It would be helpful if you could list some specific questions/concerns but here goes...

Rouens - Nice ducks, pretty, Mallard looking, not too noisy, may give some bluish-green eggs.

Indian Runners - good layers, nice eye candy, novelty looking as compared to "regular" ducks

Pekins - big, good eating but if you've had them you know they are the noisiest and their voices carry. Big eggs.

Khaki cambells - prolific layers. Can out-lay a chicken. Pretty. medium size, not noisey.
    Muscovy

They only sell them straight run and I would want them for enjoyment and possiblly eggs eventually.

Males may "fight" but it's usually not harmful. They may beat each other up a bit while establishing the pecking order but it usually consists of nothing more than their necks being picked bare. They will mount the subordinate (similar to what wolves will do in the wild).

A bigger concern is having too many males for the females you have. Too many males can result in the females literally being sexed t death from fatigue and exhaustion.

I have all the above and others. If you have other questions, it's best to send me a personal email. I'll be happy to answer what I can.

God Bless,

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I agree. Runners and khakis are smaller, don't fly and are great egg producers. The noisiest duck I have is a buff. For a small yard, I would go runners.

6. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    My muscovies don't fly off... they just waddle around the barn yard eating bugs and swimming in the baby pool.....

I LOVE MY SCOVIES!!!! The squeak like a mouse and the head bobbing is great to watch... They love my chickies....

I had my first Scovie hatchling last month and it was wonderful!!!

Hope to have a whole flock of them!!!

[​IMG]

7. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I did runners they lay well and cant fly and dont need as much water as other duck breeds. Also they are very funny.

8. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Oh great NOW I read this thread....I have Pekin eggs coming today or tomororw! Do you think they make ducky muzzles? [​IMG]

9. Brickman House

Brickman House Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Aww, I wouldn't fret about your Pekin eggs! We have two pekins (a male and a female) and they're only loud when we're late bringing their breakfast!

Otherwise, they hang out, swim, play, and generally mind their own business. They're great animals!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by