Best Ducks for a small yard and chickens

chickenphile

Songster
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
Feura Bush, NY
Might be opening the great debate here but would like some opinions? I know my local agway will be having ducks soon and am debating on getting some again. Woul hatch some eggs but the bator is full of chickens.
big_smile.png

The ducks would have there own separate area and coop. (better start gathering some pallets)

Here are my options

Rouens
Indian Runners
Pekins
Khaki cambells
Muscovy

They only sell them straight run and I would want them for enjoyment and possiblly eggs eventually.

Will two males fight if raised together with no females around?

I don't want and I am sure my neighbors and wife would agree a quacking machine.

We have had calls and pekins but raccoons had a feast on them.

What would you guys suggest?

thanks
Chris

Muscovies will fly off, so you'll have to pinion or keep their feathers clipped.

Rouens are too big and fat to fly, basically a domestic mallard.

Indian Runners are nice. =P
But I'm biased. My girl QUACKS up a storm some times.
(All drakes have a mostly silent "kwek-kwek" type call. Not noisy at all, sort of funny to hear.

Pekins are a meat breed, I don't think they go broody, or lay an especially large amount of eggs. I've also heard they are NOISY!

Khaki Campbells are fairly quiet, but a little highly strung. They are also the highest egg producer in the duck world (as far as I know).

Both my drakes could care less if the other got mauled by a raccoon...
(As in, they really dislike eachother. Strongly.)

If you had free choice, I'd say to get Cayugas, Buffs, Khakis, Runners, Swedish... But you'd have to research more, I'm not an expert.

Hi and Welcome to the duck world.

I don't have a lot of time as I'm trying to get thru 34 pages of unread posts as quickly as possible so I can go take care of the birds and then feed myself. I guess I'm curious as to why you ask the question you did since it appears you've had ducks in the past.

It would be helpful if you could list some specific questions/concerns but here goes...

Rouens - Nice ducks, pretty, Mallard looking, not too noisy, may give some bluish-green eggs.

Indian Runners - good layers, nice eye candy, novelty looking as compared to "regular" ducks

Pekins - big, good eating but if you've had them you know they are the noisiest and their voices carry. Big eggs.

Khaki cambells - prolific layers. Can out-lay a chicken. Pretty. medium size, not noisey.
Muscovy

They only sell them straight run and I would want them for enjoyment and possiblly eggs eventually.

Males may "fight" but it's usually not harmful. They may beat each other up a bit while establishing the pecking order but it usually consists of nothing more than their necks being picked bare. They will mount the subordinate (similar to what wolves will do in the wild).

A bigger concern is having too many males for the females you have. Too many males can result in the females literally being sexed t death from fatigue and exhaustion.

I have all the above and others. If you have other questions, it's best to send me a personal email. I'll be happy to answer what I can.

God Bless,

I agree. Runners and khakis are smaller, don't fly and are great egg producers. The noisiest duck I have is a buff. For a small yard, I would go runners.

My muscovies don't fly off... they just waddle around the barn yard eating bugs and swimming in the baby pool.....

I LOVE MY SCOVIES!!!! The squeak like a mouse and the head bobbing is great to watch... They love my chickies....

I had my first Scovie hatchling last month and it was wonderful!!!

Hope to have a whole flock of them!!!

love.gif

Aww, I wouldn't fret about your Pekin eggs! We have two pekins (a male and a female) and they're only loud when we're late bringing their breakfast!

Otherwise, they hang out, swim, play, and generally mind their own business. They're great animals!

Back
Top Bottom