Best egg cleaning practices/products question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Momaha, May 6, 2011.

1. Momaha

Momaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Sooner Nation WWHQ
    What are the best egg cleaning practices and products that you have used and why? Cheapest place to buy the products would be great also. Thank you in advance for your response.

(I tried using the search feature, however, it was taking forever my best guess being the volume of this message board being searched through.)

2. TeriS

TeriS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I just wipe my eggs off of any visible dirt- I don't wash them because that washes the 'bloom' off and they don't last as long. This si the cheapest possible solution as well:)

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Ordinary dish detergent and hot running water. At least twenty degrees warmer than the eggs but not so hot as to be uncomfortable to hold your hands in.

If you want to sanitize give them a dip in a gallon of the same warm water to which you've added one tablespoon of plain laundry bleach.

4. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    I'm new but I have read that you maybe better off not washing them. Like another poster said they are laid with a protective "bloom" on them. If you wash that off the eggs shell is porous and bacterial can get into the egg. Comercial eggs are santized because the living conditions of the hens is most often not very clean so who knows what those eggs were laid on. If you keep clean nesting boxes I would just stick with wiping visible dirt off. I bought some name brand organic eggs once that had some stray stuck on them. I don't plan on washing mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by