Best Egg-layers from these five...

SouthernBYChickens

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 7, 2011
Alabama
Wanted to get back into chickens after a break and a couple of local guys raise and sell a few breeds. I mainly want to raise them for eggs, but also enjoy the whole "raising chickens" thing. I know there are other chickens that are much better for egg-production than these, but I'm probably going to choose from these 5 breeds locally. In your opinion, of the 5 listed, what 3 would you get for egg-production?

Wellsummers
Ameracunas
Buckeyes
Dominiques
Jersey Giants

Thanks!!

I'd go with the Welsummers, Ameraucanas (which may be Easter Eggers) and the Dominiques. Jersey Giants are a slower maturing breed and not as good of a production bird. I have no experience with Buckeyes, but my first feeling was they won't produce as much as the Dominique.

Dominiqes, and Ameraucana's (unless you buy from a breeder, you'll be getting EE) make a wonderful mix. Their temperaments mix very well. Dom eggs are a bit on the small size, but they're good layers. I've heard that Buckeye's are not so productive compared to RIR. IMO, RIR tend to be too aggressive. Have you considered Wyandotte? Very nice bird, excellent layer, especially in winter.

Back
Top Bottom