best egg layers of brown eggs ??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gottalovemychickens, Nov 21, 2009.

1. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

Anyone ???

What is the best chicken for laying brown eggs , i need to buy 25-100 more chickens / chicks with in the next week that lay brown eggs !

2. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    I am very impressed with the egg laying ability of my Red Sex Links.

3. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    Red Sex Links 95-98% Productivity
    Austrolorps 90-83%
    RIR 87-82%
    BR 86-81%

That is how our flocks breakdown

4. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

i currently have 33 Black Australorps , they are doing great , just wondering if i should stay with them?

I want a little diversity though hehe

5. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i love my red sexlinks.. i have 4 and very rarely are there not 4 eggs a day!!!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  6. detztadee

detztadee New Egg

Jun 10, 2009
    I have ISA Browns and besides great layers, they are so docile that they loved to be petted and talked to. They follow us all over and are very gentle. This is the first time I have raised chickens and my husband is reallly happy with our choice. These are also treated as pets not eating chickens and the eggs are gifts to us for the love we give them. I just wanted a few chickens to have for the grandgirls, who knew they were so entertaining [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

My Red Sexlink laid TWO eggs today! How's that for productivity????

lol she's taken a couple of days off this week, I thought the weather was catching up to their production, but I think now she's caught back up for the week! [​IMG]

Everybody says Leghorns are the best layers, but I don't think they're any better than Queenie (the redstar). I have some Black Sexlinks that are about 7 weeks old now, so I hope they'll do as well as Queenie does.

8. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Red sexlinks, Black sexlinks and Rhode Island Reds Oh my!!! [​IMG]

9. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    I do not have many to compare, but my RIR outperformed all the other ladies this yr ( slw / brown egg and a leghorn /white egg) .

This fall I got a young BO pullet...anxious to have her start laying, altho i am aware that it may be spring.

10. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Big C,

Thanks for the info.... I am looking to expand my flock of layers early this coming spring and those types of input help!

Have others kept track of which breeds are the best layers? I would be interested.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by