Best Egg Layers

I have been researching leghorns. They do sound like a great bird. I like the egg size. There are a few different sub-breeds and a variety of information. One says great for confinement(not my plan) and another says great forager(exactly what I am looking for). Of course people breed for different characteristics and it probably makes a difference where you source from. @I Love Layers , can you tell me abit about your Leghorns?

I know this thread hasn't seen much activity in awhile but I am going to give it a try...

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Layer of good sized eggs(any color), Rose Combed(I live in northern region), heritage breed(would love to take something that is not super common and work on maintaining a rarish breed). I was very excited about Yellow House Farms Ancona breeding. Fits the bill for sure but not really an option driving to NH. Ancona's elsewhere have single combs. I think they have worked hard to develop a very nice bird for northern climbs.

Just looking for opinions. Thanks.
There are a number of varieties of Rose Combed leghorns. IMO, they are not as productive as the common straight combed white leghorn. But, I bet if you set up a flock of RCL, and bred forward for productivity, you'd improve the breed. I had some BRCL, and liked the looks of them. Their blood lines are in my BYM flock. I have a feeling that with the chipmunk down pattern of the chicks, they would be somewhat auto sexing. Or, you could go my route, and work on developing your own barn yard mix by combining a few different breeds. If you look at the Sex Linked Information thread, there are some neat charts in the first post that tell you what mixes will produce a sex linked chick. My flock are 98% pea or walnut combed and my egg basket is 50% brown, and 50% olive, green, mint, blue. By choosing the largest eggs to set every season, you will breed forward for a hen who has that desired small comb and will provide a large egg. I would also avoid feathered legs and feet for a northern flock.

Just something I have wondered...

it appears like the comb is linked to fertility. I wonder if a rose comb will ever have the productivity of a single combed bird. I still to not want frost damage to my animals and rubbing petroleum jelly on them does not appeal, so I would always prefer rose comb but it could be quite the uphill battle to improve egg laying if the two features are genetically linked. of course they might not be and it could be a fun challenge.

Thank you Lazy Gardener. You have given me some more things to think about.

it appears like the comb is linked to fertility. I wonder if a rose comb will ever have the productivity of a single combed bird. I still to not want frost damage to my animals and rubbing petroleum jelly on them does not appeal, so I would always prefer rose comb but it could be quite the uphill battle to improve egg laying if the two features are genetically linked. of course they might not be and it could be a fun challenge.

Thank you Lazy Gardener. You have given me some more things to think about.
I have never applied vaseline or any other product to a bird's comb/wattles. I'm in zone 4.

I have been researching leghorns.  They do sound like a great bird.  I like the egg size.  There are a few different sub-breeds and a variety of information.  One says great for confinement(not my plan) and another says great forager(exactly what I am looking for).  Of course people breed for different characteristics and it probably makes a difference where you source from.  @I Love Layers
, can you tell me abit about your Leghorns?    

I love mine they lay a lot and are extremely friendly. They also eat very little good compared to sex link breeds or other laying and dual purpose breeds.
Just looked up http://standardbreedpoultry.com/large_fowl_chickens_for_sale.php  and there are a lot of Rose Combed Leghorn breeders out there.  If one is local that might cinch it. 

Rose comb leghorns do not lay the same amount as single. Also most breeders don't breed towards productivity so they won't be as productive as would birds from someone who is breeding for production.

it appears like the comb is linked to fertility.  I wonder if a rose comb will ever have the productivity of a single combed bird.   I still to not want frost damage to my animals and rubbing petroleum jelly on them does not appeal, so I would always prefer rose comb but it could be quite the uphill battle to improve egg laying if the two features are genetically linked.  of course they might not be and it could be a fun challenge.  

Thank you Lazy Gardener.  You have given me some more things to think about. 

I'm not sure where you are but like I said single comb Leghorns, no Vaseline, and in a coop that isn't insulated. They did better then my Red sex links in terms of frostbite when it got to -30 (not counting wind chill) outside for a week on end

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom