1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

best egg laying duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sevenchickens, Feb 20, 2011.

1. sevenchickens

sevenchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Hubby would like to have duck eggs. Being the poultry obsessed girl I am I supported the idea enthusiastically, even though I'm not a big fan of duck eggs. I love my Muscovies (my only breed of duck) but they aren't regular layers and I want all the ducklings I can get, so darn, need another duck! But what should we get. I know what I've read but I wanted real world advice. Any would be greatly appreciated!

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    My experience is runners only - but my 3 are laying quite well at 6.5 months old. I see normally at least 2 eggs a day, and often 3 from the 3 of them.
    Blue laid one in front of the water dish yesterday in the duck yard.
    Ally laid one on the deck next to that water dish last night and had another in the duck house this morning.
    They've been laying since they were 5 months old (started laying 03 Jan)

3. sevenchickens

sevenchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Michigan
    That sounds better than some of my chickens:)

4. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    what about khaki campbells. I hear they lay about 300+ eggs a year. OK calling all campbell moms and dads lets hear from ya.

5. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    My 2 Pekin Gals have laid every day of the year except when in a heavy molt (it only cut the egg laying down by 9 days) and the one time both girls went broody. My Jumbo was broody for 3 weeks, my regular and younger gal was only broody for about 11 days LOL

Michelle

6. HamandLily

HamandLily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    England, UK
    Khaki Campbells are by far the best - I get one a day per bird [​IMG]

7. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Golden 300 Hybrids are the best layers, due to Hybrid Vigor (google it) but they do not breed true.

Ours started at 19 weeks old and has laid an egg a day since Sept. 2010. She laid all through the winter. This is much better than our Black Swedish who started at 27 weeks and only lays about 5 eggs per week, as well as them being much smaller. G300 Eggs are huge. She also seems to be a lot quieter than our Black Swede. She is also much prettier than what you see in the Metzer pic...search BYC for some pics.

8. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    When I use to have khaki cambells they would give me an egg a day.I also liked them because they were great foragers,breed well and had good natural instincts to hide when a hawk came.

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Khaki Campbells, Indian Runners and Welsh Harlequins will all lay around 300 eggs per year. None of them can fly. Only the Welsh Harlequins have retained their broody instincts.

10. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Golden 300 Hybrid Layer Ducks from metzer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by