Best features for a coop

No, it's the size of the opening, the overhang just protects the vents.

OK so I would think of it as being like a duct, the smallest part is what really matters.

Curious @Orange_coop ..do you have any construction, design, drafting background/skills?

Yes, I have 20 years as a renovation carpenter in my own business. I did a year or so drawing decks and porches etc for a decking company using a customization of AutoCAD. If the program weren't several thousand dollars I would still be using it. As it is the free CAD programs don't render to 3D very well so I have relatively little use for them except on the rare occasion I need a real drawing. I may dust off the programs I have to design this coop idea since it could be a cool sideline for me to build them.

OK so I would think of it as being like a duct, the smallest part is what really matters.

Yes, I have 20 years as a renovation carpenter in my own business. I did a year or so drawing decks and porches etc for a decking company using a customization of AutoCAD. If the program weren't several thousand dollars I would still be using it. As it is the free CAD programs don't render to 3D very well so I have relatively little use for them except on the rare occasion I need a real drawing. I may dust off the programs I have to design this coop idea since it could be a cool sideline for me to build them.
Yes, like a duct.

Ever tried Sketchup?
It's free and many find it pretty good, seems decent for solid modeling.
I have AC Inventor so couldn't be bothered to mess with it more than a tiny bit
(too old to learn another new software).

Will be curious to see how you come up with handling the panel and roof connections.
Don't bother with a coop smaller than 4x6....bigger would be better.

Yes, like a duct.

Ever tried Sketchup?
It's free and many find it pretty good, seems decent for solid modeling.
I have AC Inventor so couldn't be bothered to mess with it more than a tiny bit
(too old to learn another new software).

Will be curious to see how you come up with handling the panel and roof connections.
Don't bother with a coop smaller than 4x6....bigger would be better.
I'll have to look into Sketchup. Thanks!

I know a coop smaller than 4x6 is kind of silly, but what I see being sold is the small stuff. Then people realize they want a bigger coop. So the main marketing idea is that you can get this coop, put it in your car, and then expand it later, and they buy my stuff both times. Maybe a really small coop could be the budget starter and IR could turn into nesting boxes.

I'll have to look into Sketchup. Thanks!

I know a coop smaller than 4x6 is kind of silly, but what I see being sold is the small stuff. Then people realize they want a bigger coop. So the main marketing idea is that you can get this coop, put it in your car, and then expand it later, and they buy my stuff both times. Maybe a really small coop could be the budget starter and IR could turn into nesting boxes.

To me this seems like a solid plan and is actually what I ended up doing in a very DIY neophyte carpenter way.

My first coop followed the 3sqft/ bird Standard that you find on other sites And was 10 sqft... it was fine my birds grew up together and were ok... but chicken math... so I raised it up added a larger wing and secured under run.

If it was reasonable price wise (your marketing may want to do realistic DIY comparison I spent more than I planned) I totally would have used your expansion.

eta: Best features:
1. Raised coop,
2. large clean out door,
3. my setup allows for Closing off sections which is great for brooding, growing out and Integration

Attachments

• 6487A620-2243-451C-9E06-83312FAABF34.jpeg
    6487A620-2243-451C-9E06-83312FAABF34.jpeg
    728.5 KB · Views: 7
  • FBFCEE07-A50F-4708-B208-76D7D74FD80C.jpeg
    FBFCEE07-A50F-4708-B208-76D7D74FD80C.jpeg
    639 KB · Views: 6
  • F85A33DD-E960-490E-A93D-5C6C4ECBB30E.jpeg
    F85A33DD-E960-490E-A93D-5C6C4ECBB30E.jpeg
    545.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 4CD2091F-F5CE-426C-8D73-FDB7E296D975.jpeg
    4CD2091F-F5CE-426C-8D73-FDB7E296D975.jpeg
    536.4 KB · Views: 6
Yes, and it's all crap.
:rolleyes:
I guess if you could make it expandable......
...but even a 4' width is hard to set up for 'easy keeping', for both birds and keeper.

My problem with my 4'x4' coop is that I can't quite reach the back wall (I'm 5'3" and have relatively short limbs). This means that I can't catch chickens that are determined to escape from me. Future brooders will be no more than 3 feet deep from a side opening or they will be walk-in.

Cleaning isn't an issue -- my manure fork reaches just fine -- though if we do a raised coop again there will be a removable board instead of a permanent sill at the bottom of the door so I can just rake bedding out into the cart instead of lifting it up and over the sill.

My problem with my 4'x4' coop is that I can't quite reach the back wall (I'm 5'3" and have relatively short limbs). This means that I can't catch chickens that are determined to escape from me. Future brooders will be no more than 3 feet deep from a side opening or they will be walk-
Get yourself a short handled fishing net. Works great to capture those just out of reach.... For chicks the small mesh, for chickens the larger mesh

Back
Top Bottom