Best feed for chickens?

Spires6

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Ohio
I know this has probably been posted but I can't find it.
We are raising laying hens, bantam chicks, ducks and turkeys. What feeds seem to work best for for each of these and for different ages? What protein percentage is appropriate for each? Anybody got a favorite brand? Or is there a good thread someone can link me to? Thanks.

For my laying hens I always get Dumor layer feed. It is pretty cheap, 11$ for a 50lb bag. My hens lay very well so I like it.

Do you feed the layer feed all the time? I live in Pennsylvania and have been told to not feed the layer mash during the winter months and to start feeding it in February. Does anyone feed their chickens scratch grain?​

Last edited:
bantams should have like purina start and grow till egg laying time
generally egg laying comes next spring for bantams especially if they are pure bred
so then in the winter you can start them on layer
as it will have less protein but calcium
of which you will need to feed crushed oyster shell for calcium

Laying hen chicks need the starter grower till they start to lay and then layer and crushed oyster shell

Ducks need duck feed for ducklings and then for adults
they won't lay till next spring either

Now for turkeys it is VERY important for you to feed the turkey starter probably 28% protein
they take special care
DO NOT run them with chickens as the chickens sluff off blackhead disease to turkeys
chickens do not get blackhead they just carry the germs for it
so do this and you should be okay
feed like purina has the correct feed protein for each species of birds

skimping on protein is not good

Compare feeds in order for amt of protein for the dollar you spend
also is feed fresh as it deteriorates faster if old
vitamins and minerals are important to the chicks, ducklings, layer chicks, turkeys

don't feed a lot of corn
as the first most ingredient in feed is corn generally 9-10% protein
so you feed a lot of corn you defeat your protein content

Back
Top Bottom