Best feed for eggs?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by buddy#2, Oct 1, 2011.

1. buddy#2

buddy#2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2009
    Perry County, PA
    I found Homestead Layer feed that I think is great. Compared to the local mill its far better at making eggs than their stuff. What is everyone using out there. I thought of mixing my own stuff but time is very short for me each day.

2. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

buddy#2 :

I found Homestead Layer feed that I think is great. Compared to the local mill its far better at making eggs than their stuff. What is everyone using out there. I thought of mixing my own stuff but time is very short for me each day.

We use Homestead Layer too and we LOVE it!!!!​

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Our local Mill is a Hubbard Mill, so that's what I use. Very pleased. Another local mill is a Kalmbach mill and it too is good feed, it just isn't blended at quite the protein % that our Hubbard Mill mixes.

4. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    We're having great results with Countryside Organics. Still getting one egg per day from our girls. They love that feed.

We also supplement with Farmer's Helper at about 10% of total ration. Seems to work very well for us.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I have used and liked Homestead Layer, the only problem I have with it is that it does not have animal protein in it.
    If you are looking a real good feed look for Buckeye Nutrition, there hard to beat.

Buckeye has 3 types of layer feed -

20% Gold Standard Crumbles
    17% Complete Laying Crumbs
    16% Prosperity Layer Crumbs

Chris

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  6. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    None of these feeds are available here, only Purina everywhere. There is an Agway that carries Buckeye horse products, but only Purina Chicken feed. Purina has everything tied up here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by