• Other

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

Driley62

Songster
Jun 8, 2021
Chazy, NY
Hello all,

Figured I'd start a poll on what everyone's opinion on which is the best feed out there. I personally like nutrena brand all around since I switched our flock to them. I'm sure there's better feed out there but price point to quality I think is pretty damn good. Before I switched my flock to nutrena I was feeding dumor from tractor supply. I figured if I can keep them alive on cheap feeds it'll be much easier on more expensive feeds that help harbor better health.

So im asking you all, what in your opinion is the best feed out there? I saw other brands that attracted me but made me just about faint for the price per bag. All choices below aren't specific to a certain type within the brand. These are brand wide choices, if you have a mixed brand choice select other and explain your mix in the replies. I also only listed a handful of brands as if I listed all of them it would be a list a mile long.

Purina, by default. I've only heard of the other brands.

For me, for what I can buy locally, Purina offers the best combination of freshness, nutrition, and price.
For us, there's a local company called poulin grain. There's also nutrena mills near us(to my surprise). There's a horse grain mill about an hour from me and a chicken grain mill about 2.5 to 3 hours away. The feed store made sure that the nutrena feed we buy here in our small village is from that mill to ensure freshness and local quality. Since I switched to nutrena I see and taste a major difference in the egg yolk from the dumor feed(which is made by purina mills in the northern states from my understanding) which was a step up from grocery bought to begin with. Now it makes me wonder what the quality would be if they were given the best of the best on all fronts(feed, bedding....everything) other than being broke🙃

Keep in mind that it doesn't meat that it's a Purina formula. National brands produce generics all the time because they have the facilities. Would/could Kroger build a plant for their private label and still turn a profit?
I don't disagree at all I was just stating that tractor supply brand in the northern part of the states is produced by purina so in theory would be a decent feed. While my original 8 were raised on dumor and they liked it, they also wasted a bunch. But once I switched to nutrena, the waste as become minimal and if they kick it onto the ground they gobble it up when they see it.

The best feed is the fresh one providing the closest match to the nutritional needs of your flock under your management practices, at a reasonable pricepoint.

I'm much more interested in the Mfg Date and the Guaranteed Nutritional Analysis than the printing of brand and variety on the label. But for the typical backyard flock, under typical backyard circumstances, with typical backyard management, Purina Flock Raiser with free choice oyster shell offered in a seperate dish is probably the best off the shelf solution. And if you don't use gravity feeders, serving as an oatmeal-like consistency wet mash will help reduce waste.

/edit I've fed Nutrena All Flock too, and wasn't disatisfied with it. But after researching further, I've decided that the Purina is ever so slightly superior.

How slight??? In my area, Purina is either $0.42 or 0.44/lb (Pellet/Crumble) against Nutrena's $0.475/lb (Pellet). Purina has slightly more Lysine, Methione, and Fat, a little less fiber, a bit less calcium. That makes it better suited for mixed gender flocks, and for flocks containing hatchlings, pre-adolescents, and molting birds. But again, the differences are slight.

Last edited:
Purina All Flock
Now why the fondness to purina? I'm not knocking your thought process. I'm just not a huge fan of the brand because of the lack of quality in their dog food along with artificial dyes they put in the food. Now for me the freshest would be nitrena coming from The local mill(3 hrs away) which goes from there pretty much straight to my store around the corner from me in a matter of days. As far as quality goes, I can't compare to purina itself when it comes to the eggs. But nutrena has made them world's better than before and clearly light-years above store bought(which almost anything is better than store bought).

Now why the fondness to purina? I'm not knocking your thought process. I'm just not a huge fan of the brand because of the lack of quality in their dog food along with artificial dyes they put in the food. Now for me the freshest would be nitrena coming from The local mill(3 hrs away) which goes from there pretty much straight to my store around the corner from me in a matter of days. As far as quality goes, I can't compare to purina itself when it comes to the eggs. But nutrena has made them world's better than before and clearly light-years above store bought(which almost anything is better than store bought).
For me, Purina flock raiser tops Nurena all flock for freshness, nutrition, and price. Also, one of my cats had an allergy? to Friskies and/or Meow Mix, but has completely cured/healed after switching to Purina cat naturals.

I have nothing against Nutrena, I do buy it. Just not as the main feed.

I was editing my post above. Setting aside freshness (which obviously varies by location and stocking procedures), if you put the nutrition side by side, Purina has slightly more fat, less calcium, less fiber, and a better amino acid profile - making it a better choice for mixed gender flocks, hatchliings, pre-adolescents, molting birds, and meaties. Also, I enjoy a slight price differential in favor of the Purina locally.

Even so, I feed from the local mill - as I don't have a typical backyard flock, don't have typical circumstances, and don't have typical management practices - so the general recommend isn't applicable to my situation and needs.

Back
Top Bottom