Best Feeder and Waterer to take care of 19 birds?

Pullet Press

Crowing
Aug 7, 2020
Texas
Okay, so I'd like some help. I'm trying to find a feeder and waterer that can feed my birds (17 chickens and 2 ducks) for a week or more without me really having to refill them very often (for vacation purposes, not for every day). Does anyone have any suggestions or plans for them?
Thanks in advance!

I usually opt for more feeders instead of larger ones for vacation. It creates redundancy, so if one gets tipped over, or rained on a lot, or who knows what, then they have others. If space is an issue, you could do multiple 6-ft tall PVC feeders (basically three or four inch around PVC tube, with a Y at the bottom they eat out of). Those take up almost no floor space and can hold a lot.

I strongly recommend hanging them, keeps mice out, maximizes the food available to the chickens.

Specifically for vacation, I've also been known to just stick a rubbermaid container in the corner with extra food... no added expense, and if they make a mess oh well, it was just for vacation.

I like my homemade feeder...

20200710_133309.jpg

But a standard hanging metal feeder will also hold feed for multiple days

Redundancy is VERY important if no one is checking in.

At least two feeders, in separate locations, and two waterers, same. It's certainly best to have someone checking on them at least once daily! Free eggs, checking for any problems, and refilling any containers that need help. Friends, family, neighbors, other fairly local people who also have birds would be nice. Or pay a pet sitter. A week is just too long!
Mary

Well, I couldn't find my photos... here is stuff I did find.

This dude used a different kind of port.
@Alaskan I'm going to advertise my construction once again, instead of the elbow, check out the ventilation parts in the hardware store next time you go there. I'm really getting almost zero waste with this thing. The last photo is built with a different bucket, but same idea. For rain protection, you could split a piece of 4" pipe and cut it about 3-4" long and attach it to the top of the opening. And you could add some sort of roof on top of the feeder.

I am pretty sure I used what this dude below used... the 3 inch pipe.. I know my feeder is PVC pipes, with 90 degree bends.

the key is 3" 90 degree street elbow.

With ducks water being clean/available is a big concern.

Maybe 2 tubs on automatic fill like the toilet tank refills itself. (Using that as an example since many folks are not familiar with an evaporative cooler)

What about gathering eggs, locking them in at night, letting them out in the morning?

Personally I could not relax on a vacation without someone checking on my animals.
Maybe hire a responsible teen, friend, neighbor, relative or pet sitting company to check in on them would be a good idea.

I use the large grandpas feeder for a flock of 20. I top it off once a week, it could probably go almost a full 2 weeks if i let it.

Well, I couldn't find my photos... here is stuff I did find.

This dude used a different kind of port.

I am pretty sure I used what this dude below used... the 3 inch pipe.. I know my feeder is PVC pipes, with 90 degree bends.
Wow, excellent! Great idea with the ventilation parts. Just when I thought my set up was pretty good, there is always someone who has a smarter way! Thanks much for sharing

Back
Top Bottom