Best feeder style for meaties?

growinupinfl

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Pensacola
Ok how do we best feed meaties? I did have a 4" PVC pipe cut in half that provided two feeders 4 feet long that they now empty almost immediately. They have slowed gaining weight because I can't keep up with feeding them every 15 minutes.. any ideas or help on something easy and quick I can put together for meaties?

I would make some bigger PVC ones. That is just about all I use now. When the chicks are young, I use a 3-4 inch, then when they get bigger, I use a 6". I don't cut mine completly in half. A piece of 6" PVC 5' long will hold over 20 pounds of feed. I have a tractor with 80 birds in it, using a total of 9'(1 that is 4' and the other 5') of 6" PVC, I can put in enough feed for a whole day.

I use a 6". I don't cut mine completly in half. A piece of 6" PVC 5' long will hold over 20 pounds of feed. I have a tractor with 80 birds in it, using a total of 9'(1 that is 4' and the other 5') of 6" PVC, I can put in enough feed for a whole day.

Can you post pics of how you cut them, if you don't cut them completely in half. I would be really interested in seeing that.​

we use plastic rain gutter. cut to about 5 foot. then we put a piece of 1by and screw them to it. and put a handle to take out of the tractor.

We always use hanging feeders. Much cleaner and some hold 30 lbs of feed or more. Even the homemade style with a five gallon bucket and pan work great. We have 200 meaties with 8, thirty pound feeders and they last forever. We only fill em half way and id say they last more than a week. We also allow free range.

0410001122.jpg

0410001127.jpg

0410001133.jpg

0410001136.jpg

Holds 25# of feed for 30 birds. From week 3 to week 6 they will go through about a half bucket per day (12 hour feed cycle) slowly increasing usage until weeks 7 and on when they'll empty it in 12 hours. Cheap, easy to build, pretty much indestructable.

Quote:
Can you post pics of how you cut them, if you don't cut them completely in half. I would be really interested in seeing that.

Here is the best pic I have of them on my computer:

16513_102_5972.jpg

I just made another one this weekend and made the feed opening a little narrower. Seems to work well.

Back
Top Bottom