Best feeders and waterers

Xtina

Songster
11 Years
Jul 1, 2008
Portland, Oregon
The killing of one of my girls last night by a marauder has forced me to face some of my coop and run's challenges. One of the problems that drove me to leave my coop unsecured was dissatisfaction with my waterer. Do you guys have a favorite style of waterer? I'm hoping for something that prevents mildew and can be mounted to the side of the coop so I can fill it from the outside. And if I get a new feeder while I'm on the job, that'll be good too. I'm taking recommendations.

I really like nipple watering systems. You could put them in the bottom of a square bucket and hang on the side of the coop. Add a little ACV and it should stay mildew free (or just change it once in a while). As far as feeders go, I got one like this and really like it. I have it hanging underneath my raised coop at about back level and there is virtually zero waste (I think the little plastic spines inside keep them from scooping too much, and you can adjust how much food comes out at a time).
3kg_green_white_poultry_feeder_300.jpg
images

I just noticed you live in Portland as well. I bought the feeder at Aloha feed, nipples are from QC Supply (online).

Last edited:
Nipples for water and PVC feeder for food.
Easy and no waste.
I use the J type feeder for my small flock. I prefer the J like the pic below to protrude into the coop from outside.
68711_more_coop_002.jpg

This is a pic from rebelcowboysnb
18601_feeder2.jpg

3" or 4" seems to work fine.
Though 4" does work a bit better.

I used 3' of 3" pipe with a 90 deg Street elbow and a 45 deg elbow attached to that.
Makes the end where the feed comes out a bit easier for them to get to. You can also just cut a 90 deg down a bit.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom