Best Feeding and watering methods (DIY v.s. store bought)

steppinthrax

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2019
Owings, MD
So I've had my baby chicks for a few months now. I just put them out in the the underside of the coop I'm building. I live in Maryland. I have 8 New Sex Links and 4 Rhode Island Reds. Not sure how to describe how old they are but they are fully feathered and are large enough that you need two hands to pick them up. Many of them have a small comb and waddle coming in on their head.

I currently have this small 1 qt baby chick feeder and waterer and I'm having the refill that almost twice a day. I was looking at a few DIY and store bought methods. In terms of waterer I was thinking of getting a 5 gallon bucket and putting a few nipple waterers on the bottom. I saw a youtube video of someone making a feeder with 90 degree PVC elbows and a 5 gal bucket. Essentially it seems to reduce mess since they have to stick their head all the way down inside for it.

What's the best situation, does it really matter? I'm thinking of just getting a larger feeder/waterer from tractor supply. Does it need to be hung on the ceiling?

You need to find what works best for you, your birds, and your situation. I personally use buckets and rubber bowls for water because I have ducks in with my chickens, and buckets are easy to dump and fill. My feeders are hanging pans.

Lots of things to use. Good luck picking. :)

I use Galvanized feeders and waterers for my coops. 20190129_091527.jpg . I do hang the feeder from the ceiling, but you could put them on blocks. My waterer is shown on a heated base, but it's currently sitting on 12" x 12" concrete pavers. GC

Back
Top Bottom