Best floor material for chicken run?

FC16

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK 🇬🇧
I want to change the flooring of my chicken run as currently it is just soil/concrete, the issue is that it’s just really dirty and hard to stay on top of. *my run is around 6 x 6 metres by the way as it’s just a small backyard flock
I’ve heard straw is a bad idea as it gets wet and dirty very quickly.
My run is not sheltered from rain so I need something which can withstand water. (I live in the UK)
I’m thinking either sand or wood chip from what I’ve read online, but my only worry is whether they’d still be able to forage around during the day? I don’t want them to be bored and have no where to forage.
If anybody could recommend what they thinks best it would be much appreciated 🙂

For an uncovered run that size, you may be better off with sand.
They'll never be able to forage for long in a confined run due to both soil compaction and excess phosphorus.
How many chickens?

I vote sand. I love the concept. Simply go in daily, or every other day and scoop the poop off the top. Simple and easy. Keeps it clean. Wood chips or similar you can really scoop the poop while still leaving the substrate behind. On a cleaning stand point, sand is pretty darned simple.

I vote sand. I love the concept. Simply go in daily, or every other day and scoop the poop off the top. Simple and easy. Keeps it clean. Wood chips or similar you can really scoop the poop while still leaving the substrate behind. On a cleaning stand point, sand is pretty darned simple.
I assume you've used sand in an uncovered run in Pac NW weather? How scoopable is it? I always assumed it was a no go if it got too wet.

I assume you've used sand in an uncovered run in Pac NW weather? How scoopable is it? I always assumed it was a no go if it got too wet.
True. I haven't used it, but have always wanted to. I've been switching to tractors because of how wet it gets here, so haven't gotten the chance. I've read about it, and love the idea.
I'd imagine that it would be difficult in a wet climate. I guess that depends on OP's location.

True. I haven't used it, but have always wanted to. I've been switching to tractors because of how wet it gets here, so haven't gotten the chance. I've read about it, and love the idea.
I'd imagine that it would be difficult in a wet climate. I guess that depends on OP's location.
OP specified: "My run is not sheltered from rain so I need something which can withstand water. (I live in the UK)" - so probably as gloomy and wet as WA lol.

I have only recommended sand to folks in dry, arid climates, or with well covered runs. Haven't tried it myself, no inclination to, but in the right circumstances I'm sure it works fantastic. And in the wrong circumstance, well... you have a lot of wet sand. :)

OP specified: "My run is not sheltered from rain so I need something which can withstand water. (I live in the UK)" - so probably as gloomy and wet as WA lol.

I have only recommended sand to folks in dry, arid climates, or with well covered runs. Haven't tried it myself, no inclination to, but in the right circumstances I'm sure it works fantastic. And in the wrong circumstance, well... you have a lot of wet sand. :)
Do you use sand? I would like to switch from wood chips to sand at fall clean out.

My reasons:
The wood chips break down and get dusty and really aggravate my allergies. I dread going in to rake up and clean the coop.

The ground all around our coop can stay damp allowing mold to grow quite easily on the organic matter during those wet times. I rake during and after wet periods to help the ground dry quicker but it is becoming a real pain in the butt. And that mold really aggravates my allergies.

I started using poop boards covered with sand and it's been amazingly easy and dust free to clean. I just love it!

But, most importantly, my reasoning for my girls:

Flock has confirmed Marek's and Mycoplasma.

If the dust/mold bothers my allergies and asthma so much, what is it doing to them and their respiratory systems?

With their health needing to be monitored so close I consider poop a big one to watch. On the sand I can see it better than wood chips. Especially the clear watery ones that are important for me to notice. They leave a mark on the sand.

I have less flies and smell on the sand because the poop dries out fast.

Sand can also dry out any shedding of worm eggs, which a bad bout of worms can kill my girls.

They free range everyday, all day. The coop/run is for roosting/sleeping hours.

I live in east central IL.
My run is covered.
The run is on a slight decline to hopefully facilitate run off.

Any thoughts on my particular situation considering the MD, MG and my allergies? Thanks!

Do you use sand? I would like to switch from wood chips to sand at fall clean out.

I live in east central IL.
My run is covered.
The run is on a slight decline to hopefully facilitate run off.

Any thoughts on my particular situation considering the MD, MG and my allergies? Thanks!
Sorry I use deep litter (and haven't experienced MD or MG). Hopefully someone in your climate (maybe check your state thread) has experience with sand and can give you feedback as to their experience with it.

Back
Top Bottom