Best Flooring/ Bedding

No help for northerners I guess, but in the south you may be able to get rice hulls and that's what I prefer to use. Not dusty, doesn't clump, and allows moisture to pass right through.

rice hulls..sounds great! Any photos?

So I have been using the sand in the coop for about a week now. I have some major clumping and moisture. It has been raining for about 5 of 7 days so humidity is a problem right now. I don't know if I have to just give it more time and a chance to dry. We live in Texas so there isn't usually a ton of rain.

Our flooring is plywood covered with laminate tiles.

Any other suggestions? I have read to use rice hulls but can't find much info on them. Do you have to clean it out completely every so often? Scoop the poop daily? I really have no idea about them at all.

So I have been using the sand in the coop for about a week now. I have some major clumping and moisture. It has been raining for about 5 of 7 days so humidity is a problem right now. I don't know if I have to just give it more time and a chance to dry. We live in Texas so there isn't usually a ton of rain.

Our flooring is plywood covered with laminate tiles.

Any other suggestions? I have read to use rice hulls but can't find much info on them. Do you have to clean it out completely every so often? Scoop the poop daily? I really have no idea about them at all.

Do you have good venalation in your coop? Is the rain leaking in somewhere? Mine stays dry. If yours is getting wet I would think anything you put in there would get wet.

Have a 9' x 12' run for my four chickens. As I run a low budget operation, I use only local materials for bedding. My current routine is to use a roto-tiller to churn a layer of dried leaves (mostly red oak & cedar elm) about 8' or so deep into the soil. After that, I then add another 1" or 2" layer of dried leaves (which the birds tend to pack down) and repeat every 6 to 8 weeks. This seems to be working well and the quality of my soil appears to be improving dramatically.
Am a little concerned about raising the temperature of the floor due to composting, specifically in the summer months when it's hot as blazes already.
Any feedback as to anyone else who has done this would be appreciated. Am wondering about unseen consequences, or is this the standard procedure for most?

Also, need an improved bath area. What type of dirt/sand works best.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Perfect timing for me on this thread!! I've just decided to re-do the chick condo with sand rather than hay. I've been reading both these posts and The Chicken Chicks blog about sand and I'm a little confused about what to use! She says NO play sand or anything that gas crushed quartz or cement in it. I'm pretty sure I'll be buying my sand at Lowes or Home Depot- is there a brand I should look for? Or something particular I should be checking the label info for? I'm on a really tight budget and can't afford to make a mistake!

I agree keltara. Multi purpose sand is the way to go. I free range so I just have dirt in the runs but in the main coop and new one I'm building the sand is the way to go. It takes me about 10 minutes a day to make the coop spotless and I'm cleaning up after 53 chickens, 2 ducks, and my turkey. So cheap and easy!

So, should I be looking for the words "multi purpose" on the bag? I don't know much about construction grade sand vs. play sand.

I need help on this too! My goal has been to be able to move the soil from the chicken run (9" x 12" with four birds) over into my garden occasionally. I have been throwing in leaves grass clippings over time that I've churned under with a roto-tiller. I think it's been a good plan so far but the run is now mostly a "peat-type substance" more than dirt. So, I'm digging out about the top 6" - 9" to let sit for a while before churning into my garden area. In the meantime, probably buy some new soil, not sand, to put back into the run.
Sound like this should work???
Steve

I buy mine at Home Depot, a prewashed coarse sand. Not play sand.

Back
Top Bottom