Best Flooring/ Bedding

Hi Keltara ! great info !
thumbsup.gif
can they use the sand as grit too? or do you provide that separate? i have a dirt floor and a dry climate but want to add some sand so its easier to scoop the poop...its quite rocky now

Hi Keltara ! great info !
thumbsup.gif
can they use the sand as grit too? or do you provide that separate? i have a dirt floor and a dry climate but want to add some sand so its easier to scoop the poop...its quite rocky now
No need to add additional grit. Construction sand has sharp sand, pebbles, small rocks of all different sizes all of which aid in digestion for chickens.

Does all sand contain silica? Or only certain types of store bought sand? Hope that question isn't too dumb lol. I just haven't researched it too much yet. I live on the Sabine river and can get river sand if it is ok to use too. Whether its really a big deal or not, I'd just getting whatever I need to get to have the sand without the silica.

Commercial Poultry House flooring. Just showing it as an alternative to hard floors. I already know some on here don't like it. I am not asking for your opinions, just showing it as a viable flooring option. Available in 2x4' sheets from Southwest Agri-Products of Texas $13 a sheet 7/8" holes 1" thick UV stabalized plastic. Made in USA.

From what i've read , river sand is one of the best for you to use in a coop...you lucky duck !
wee.gif

From what i understand
caf.gif
...river sand is completely safe and best to use....washed construction sand is pretty darn safe and perfectly ok to use, and due to its jagged structure its keeps their feet clean and trims their nails at the same time. It also doubles as grit for them.....and sandbox sand is a no-no. As far as silica content in each, i'm not 100% sure... i wouldn't think river sand has any silica or possibly a tiny amount? The "chicken chick" lady did a great write up on the washed construction sand....click the link to read the article..... http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/search?q=Sand

Hope that helps and maybe some of our experienced chick folks can add on silica content or other?

Tracy

Back
Top Bottom