Best flower for the vegetable garden?

I don't know much about what grows well in Georgia. I'm assuming you want an annual, so here are my recs! The first thing that leaped to mind was sweet peas. Super easy to grow and find seeds for, beautiful flowers, fragrant, good cut flowers. You can plant them in succession so you always have a plant with something in bloom! I grow nasturtiums and hyssop around my garden and that brings in many bees, smells wonderful and looks very nice. Another good choice is sunflowers.

You could also try:
Heliotrope - vanilla scented might actually be a perennial for you
Moonflower - a vine with white flowers that smell amazing
Petunias - old fashioned varieties that you grow from seed have a wonderful scent
Stocks - biennial, smells like vanilla
Sweet Rocket
Sweet Scabious
Jasmine Tobacco - one of my most favorite for scent

Have fun! What a treasure of a spouse you are.

Im In South Carolina So Kinda The Same Weather

And The Absolute Best Flower I Have In My Yard Is Ginger Lilly

They Grow Back Year After Year And They Multiply By Like 3 Every Year

When The Wind Blows Omg The Smell Is Like A Sweet Soft Perfume

They Grow In Like A Stalk Like A Short Corn And On The Top When The Flowers Bloom There About 8-12 Flowers

Omg The Smell Is Intoxicating I Always Rip The Petals Off And Rub Them On Me

I agree with the sweet peas. Gorgeous purple flowers. I too like to plant what I can eat and I find that by planting yellow crook neck,acorn, butter nut and other squash and zucchini, I can saute the big male flowers(they're the ones on the longer stem, farther away from the vine) in a little butter and olive oil after a light drench of egg wash and dusting with cornmeal/flour and seasoning mix.. Nasturtiums are both colorful and delicious on salads. Rosemary planted around the perimeter, especially where you might brush up against it as you're working it releases a wonderful scent. Lavender and sage are beautiful and smell and taste great too. Sunflowers are easy, they look great as a cut flower and if you let them go, provide food for bees and birds.
Marigolds are very good for repelling insects. You can use the flowers as plate garnish and save the seeds on most of these flowers for next year!

Back
Top Bottom