best food to warm chickens up in the winter?

I must have the only chickens who don't like oatmeal! I found scratch and meal worms to be their favorite. I throw it in their run with a few bunches of leaves. They have fun searching for the treats. I also give them a bowl of chopped greens. They love this almost s much as the scratch! Once the weather warms a little it will just be the worms for protein and greens. I don't want them to gain weight from too much scratch.

All Chickens need in winter is a higher protein feed and fresh water.
My friend made a warm mash for her six Hens and they gobbled it up. Not a heated Coop. Was -32C here that night. She got up in the morning and all six had frozen crops. She thawed the Birds in her house. Almost killed them with kindness..

My crazy girls are pecking around outside right now and it is 0! Mine like oatmeal, but definitely prefer scrambled eggs with a little bit of dried oregano leaves and garlic, for a little antibiotic boost.
sorry but i have to laugh :) chickens eating eggs hehehe...new here dont mind me

My chickens hate the black oil seeds. I dont know why. I just added my windbreak but i used to wet the crumbles. My chickens love moistened purina dog chow. It's how i got my cockrel to stop attacking me first thing in the morning (he was only fiesty first thing) i let them sit overnight or you can add warm water to get them to swell up. They will still freeze if u leave them out there. Also frozen peas have been fun for them(i cook them, give them warm). My chickens also dont care for scrambled eggs...i have to boil(i steam mine) and chop them. They freeze fast as well as raisins. Just give them a little thats my best advice. In the cold temps everything freezes!!

Back
Top Bottom