Best for dog run?

skeeter03

Songster
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Vernon
Whats the best flooring or bottom for dog run? we just have dirt but I notice its starting to smell a bit - i pick up all the poop every day but still.
its really big dont want to do concrete whats our best other option?

if its starting to get stinky I would think about drainage issues and possible doing the bottom in sand like for the chickens. other dog owners shouldbe able to tell you better though because I have actualy never had a kenel dog.

We have gravel in our dog run..... with three dogs it has worked out well. We pick up "piles" daily and every few months I mix up some bleach water and spray down the area. (of course we keep the dogs out until everything is completely dried after spraying) Works like a charm for us.

Unfortunately, concrete is your best bet. Dirt can indeed be dirty and is not dig-proof. Gravel has to be piled high in order to work good and some dogs actually eat pebbles
sad.png
Concrete is the safest bet for them. Sanitary and dry. But expensive, yes. In semi-permanent quarters, I have been known to just lay concrete pads (that you can get at lowes, walmart garden section etc etc) and collect a few $ worth a week and lay a floor out of that. One square foot tile costs approx $1.50. Not perfect because the floor will have cracks, but with a nice sand floor under it and a good job laying it, it works really well.

Quote:
I agree... if you can't do cement you can do a super thick layor of peagravel or put down paving blocks. You'll still need to use bleach to reduce the smells. There are raised platforms and grating you can get, but it's costly and you'd still need to bleach it down.

We have concrete and a drainage system... but still use bleach to help keep it clean and cut down on smells and flies.

I am wondering also what we could use for our dogs area......we have a front fenced area for some of our little dogs and the boys and the new puppy like to dig....so it would be nice if we could put new grass out there but we know they will still dig that and ruin it. All that is out there is cheat grass and weeds.

You last few posters brought up pea gravel and that is what I keep telling dh to do but he says it will be too hot on their feet and body? What do you think cause I would like to know too keep in mind that it gets very hot here sometimes and no shade hardly?

Sorry to hijack here but will spraying with bleach kill the odor of a male who likes to spray the light pole in the front yard? We are talking about wrapping it in tin so the wood doesn't absorb anymore pee but if I could get rid of the odor before hand that would be awesome

I have one pen that's been in place for almost 5 years and when it started to smell from the urine (poo is removed daily) we take the dogs out for a day and put down some sweet lime with a heavy watering. It works quite well.

Back
Top Bottom