best foraging chicken breed

Most any common breed will do well, considering hatcheries, the most common source for chickens, breed for egg production.

The absolute best out there for both traits combined though are probably Gamefowl, especially American Gamefowl.

True but they are not at all breeding for foraging qualities

I think I would go with something like a Sumatra and jungle fowl mix for bug eating, and if you can find the eggs you may well get some out of them too. The problem with tree roosting forage breeds is you have to often times search for your eggs as much as they search for their food...:/

All chickens can scrounge. However, few can find enough food to really fill them up. Though, I am a huge fan of dual-purpose breeds, I do not consider them amongst the best foraging productive breeds. If a productive foraging breed is desired, then you are best off with a smaller bird around 3-5 pounds. These birds include the Campine, Dominique, Egyptian Fayoumi, Hamburg, Leghorn and more.

As other's have suggested pick a bird for your climate. If you experience cold winters (freezing) then pick birds with smaller combs such as the Dominique, Hamburg, and Rosecomb Leghorn.

Also, since your birds are foraging, keep with safe colors. Choose a Gold penciled or Spangled Hamburg over a Silver Spangled Hamburg, and a Brown Leghorn over a White.

Hi RhodeRunner,

When you said "Campine, Dominique, Egyptian Fayoumi, Hamburg, Leghorn and more" above, can you please expand the "more" for us/me as we are looking for self-sufficiency (you don't need to feed them) birds for meat, eggs and incubation purposes.
Thanks..

Hi RhodeRunner,

When you said "Campine, Dominique, Egyptian Fayoumi, Hamburg, Leghorn and more" above, can you please expand the "more" for us/me as we are looking for self-sufficiency (you don't need to feed them) birds for meat, eggs and incubation purposes.

Thanks..

If you want dual-purpose chickens (meat and eggs), most of the breeds you listed are not dual-purpose breeds because they are not good for meat.

However, Dominique, often called "Dominicker," is a good dual-purpose breed that forages well and will reproduce on its own. That is why this breed was very popular for many years on small farms. But with any breed you will need to provide some feed, especially in the winter, if you want your chickens to consistently lay eggs. You might get by with providing your chickens table scraps if you have a large area for your chickens to forage in.

americaunas forage well, preferring trees at times to a roost with domestic type birds. Silkies are unequaled in broodiness and mothering instincts. depending on your climate i would let co-habitate araucana, americauna, american game foul and silkies to create a hardy foraging strain. Note: araucana roosters are agressive as hell, almost killed a strong silver wyandote male.

Same question again, what is the best foraging chicken breed? I would like to start a flock in the spring that will forage most of it's food during the warmer months at least. Winter egg production is important also. Currently I am considering Hamburg, Dominique, Cubalayas, Java, Old English Game Fowl, Rosecomb Leghorn.

So, the two main requirements are winter egg laying, and mostly sufficient on forage during the warmer months. I will be eating them as well, so they should taste like chicken.

You need to balance several factors; too widely ranging may mean eggs not in the coop, going over fences to the neighbors, and roosting outside which means severe issues with predation at night. Birds big enough to eat, and good egg production, and cold hardiness, means dual purpose breeds, preferably with smaller combs. Bee offered good choices; I'd add Chanteclers to the list. Unless you live in the tropics and have feral game birds, they need feed available all year, and safe shelter at night. The smaller egglayers are wonderful except for meat. Make a list, get several breeds, and see what you like. Mary

My Dark Cornish and Kraienkoppe hens didn't need more than an occasional handful of corn from May until December here in NH, and the Cornish were quite plump when we ate them at about 6 months... a touch stringy in the breast meat but next time I won't wait as long to eat them. The Kraienkoppes are broodier than heck' but were laying a good amount of medium eggs (they also unfortunately hid them). My Cornish laid brown eggs very regularly, being hatchery stock, and weren't as savvy with hiding them.

I think you would do well with any of those breeds, because they are all hardy and lay eggs well.

I think the varieties of Brown Leghorn are better than the White Leghorn for free ranging, because their colors allow them to hide better from predators. If you are in a cold region, you can get Rose Comb Brown Leghorns so that their combs are less likely to get frostbite. The White Leghorn will lay eggs a little better than the brown. But the browns are a lot more beautiful, in my opinion.
That is exactly why I keep the Rose Comb Brown Leghorns.I really do not care much for all white birds. I think living in Perdue country has messed me up.

Back
Top Bottom