Best Fr-hens and coop bullies!

InNC

Songster
Apr 18, 2023
These two are inseparable. They were my first 2 chickens. (a neighbor gave me a couple because she hatched too many) I was clueless, but I loved em and spoiled them. They would jump into my arms as soon an i let them out to graze. (Yes my arms got all scratched up)
Once we set up a coop for 6 I let my kids pick out 4 more chicks. I slowly transitioned the younger 4 into the coop. But the older 2 were NOT happy and constantly finding new ways to bully them. Skip ahead to 8 months of living together and the 2 bullies have discovered a new torment. They block the coop door in the evening not letting the younger 4 in.
I tried putting them in myself and got the $#!+ pecked outta me. Now I've resorted to removing the older 2 first and putting in the 4 then the 2 meanies last. It's a pain in the butt.
I really expected it to be a passing phase. But here we are. Even when I let them out, the 2 go one way and the 4 younger go another. I'm stumped. 🤷‍♀️ Who knew hens held grudges? Anyone dealt with this? Any ideas or advice?
20230501_173552.jpg
20230501_173401.jpg

That is your issue, the coop is not big enough for 6 birds. It looks to be about 3 x 4 x 3 feet? 3 birds is the max that should fit in there. To have 6 birds, you need more space, a coop about 24 square feet. Which is 6 x 4 at the minimum. Depending on your climate, I would want more vertical height too.

The run is also a little small, which makes integration a much harder situation such as you are seeing.

If you can't build a bigger coop, you need to reduce the flock. Over crowding causes very ugly behavior. It often happens as chicks become full size, as what was more than enough space when they were chicks, is not enough space as they become full size.

It looks like a bantam in there too - often times they are really picked on in a mixed flock with not enough space.

You need a bigger coop - or less birds, or I would expect this problem to get much worse.

Mrs K

That is your issue, the coop is not big enough for 6 birds. It looks to be about 3 x 4 x 3 feet? 3 birds is the max that should fit in there. To have 6 birds, you need more space, a coop about 24 square feet. Which is 6 x 4 at the minimum. Depending on your climate, I would want more vertical height too.

The run is also a little small, which makes integration a much harder situation such as you are seeing.

If you can't build a bigger coop, you need to reduce the flock. Over crowding causes very ugly behavior. It often happens as chicks become full size, as what was more than enough space when they were chicks, is not enough space as they become full size.

It looks like a bantam in there too - often times they are really picked on in a mixed flock with not enough space.

You need a bigger coop - or less birds, or I would expect this problem to get much worse.

Mrs K
Thank you

I really expected it to be a passing phase. But here we are. Even when I let them out, the 2 go one way and the 4 younger go another. I'm stumped. 🤷‍♀️ Who knew hens held grudges? Anyone dealt with this? Any ideas or advice?
I agree with @Mrs. K the space is tight. This can cause conflict.
It's a very good idea to expand if possible.

You asked, who knew hens held grudges - well...it's not grudges, but the "older" ones basically have rank and they are going to keep that status. There's a lot more to it than just being pretty and fluffy.

Anyway, the hens in your photos are lovely. I hope you are able to provide them a bit more room.

Oh...btw! Your older girl, the EE, take a look at her right foot, looks like she has a bit of swelling and bumblefoot. Look at the bottom of her foot to see if there's a scab/broken skin or possibly sometimes debris can get stuck in the crevice of the toes and make it look like that too.

I agree with @Mrs. K the space is tight. This can cause conflict.
It's a very good idea to expand if possible.

You asked, who knew hens held grudges - well...it's not grudges, but the "older" ones basically have rank and they are going to keep that status. There's a lot more to it than just being pretty and fluffy.

Anyway, the hens in your photos are lovely. I hope you are able to provide them a bit more room.

Oh...btw! Your older girl, the EE, take a look at her right foot, looks like she has a bit of swelling and bumblefoot. Look at the bottom of her foot to see if there's a scab/broken skin or possibly sometimes debris can get stuck in the crevice of the toes and make it look like that too.
Oh my 😯. I hadn't noticed that spot on her foot. Thank you!
They spent a lot of the time wondering around the land (4 acres.)
But I'd never considered the coop (sleep area) was too small. I feel guilty now.
It also upsets me because I saved up for a long time to get the coop that was for "6-8 chickens" (according to its description on the farm supply site). I thought the run looked small so I doubled it.
The thought of getting rid of any of my girls breaks my heart. I love them.
I could expand run...but thier time there is minimal. The coop is a different story. They only sleep there, I could add nesting boxes.. or buy another one (but gosh it was expensive). I'm not what to do. But I am going to go check out Cowboys foot ASAP.

Those darn stores! They DO advertise those coops as holding more than they should. To the point, if a new person tells me they have 6 birds - I ask if they have a pre fab coop.

As the younger birds get closer and closer to full size, the worse the bickering will be. Some people this does not bother, but it just ruins the whole chicken experience for me. I like a peaceful flock. To me, it is much better to have less chickens that have enough room, and get along. I just do not like tension in the flock.

You are in the wishing stage - just wishing they would all be nice. We have all been there. They won't.

Until you can adjust - do make sure that you have several feed bowls, and two water stations, far apart and hidden behind something. Add some clutter to your run, it will look too small to you, but it actually adds useable space to the chickens if they can get up on things, or escape to place that is out of sight.

But strongly consider removing two of the birds. They should be easy to sell, that will pay for a feed bag or two. IMO - it is not a great life to be constantly harassed. You might consider selling one of the older birds, and one of the younger birds. Or both of the older birds. But that is the quickest way and most easy way to adjust your flock to fit the coop. Later on, when you get a bigger coup (check sheds out on Facebook local sales places) then you can add more birds.

Mrs K

Those darn stores! They DO advertise those coops as holding more than they should. To the point, if a new person tells me they have 6 birds - I ask if they have a pre fab coop.

As the younger birds get closer and closer to full size, the worse the bickering will be. Some people this does not bother, but it just ruins the whole chicken experience for me. I like a peaceful flock. To me, it is much better to have less chickens that have enough room, and get along. I just do not like tension in the flock.

You are in the wishing stage - just wishing they would all be nice. We have all been there. They won't.

Until you can adjust - do make sure that you have several feed bowls, and two water stations, far apart and hidden behind something. Add some clutter to your run, it will look too small to you, but it actually adds useable space to the chickens if they can get up on things, or escape to place that is out of sight.

But strongly consider removing two of the birds. They should be easy to sell, that will pay for a feed bag or two. IMO - it is not a great life to be constantly harassed. You might consider selling one of the older birds, and one of the younger birds. Or both of the older birds. But that is the quickest way and most easy way to adjust your flock to fit the coop. Later on, when you get a bigger coup (check sheds out on Facebook local sales places) then you can add more birds.

Mrs K
I do have 2 of everything 🙂. And I made the run into different sections. It's not pretty but it does offer reprieve. I'm considering building a separate sleep area for the 2 older ones. My polish crested gets along with them, but I think it's because she can't see well so doesn't realize when they are trying to intimidated her. She doesn't run from them so they gave up and accepted her. The largest hen is the one they are the meanest to. She's outgrown them so I assumed they were trying to keep their dominant status. I suppose I have some changes to make. I appreciate the advice and input.

Back
Top Bottom