Best friendly goose?? New to the goose thing, would like expert input!

Quote:
Sebastopols! And Holderreads has the best. Holderreads does not reccommend handling geese past 2 weeks of age, but they are so like loveable little puppies and very affectionate. 'Peepers', my first sebbie baby, approached 6 months of age and became keeper of the flock and more agressive. He attacked deer, dogs, people, cars, you name it. It was the latter that caused him to meet his demise last month and broke my heart eternally. He was hand raised and handled often. I bought his mate from Holderreads and she is nothing but docile, but I would love it if she'd let me pet her. She is slowly warming up to me though. I've ordered her another mate to arrive next month, adult. I also have 4 babies (2 breeding pair) reserved for next spring. Dave Holderread is the foremost authority on waterfowl in the World. Sebbies run about $55 each as day old goslings plus shipping, but are so uniquely beautiful and worth it in my humble opinion. Let us know what you decide.

I think it is how they are raised and not the breed. I have 24 geese. Super Africans are by far my most freindly. I think I like the looks of the super African and pick them up more than the rest as babies. They have always loved me and are very bonded to me. My Tuffed Buff are next. My Sebbies, American Blue Geese, American Lavender Geese and Romans come up and talk to me but they won't crawl in my lap like the Africans and Tufted Buffs. They where my first so they had more attention.

I have Pomeranians, even during nesting the gander will not attack, he raises his wing to say stay away. but has never attacked anyone ever. he's 4 yrs old

19130_100_1261_chicks.jpg

I got very lucky and bought some Sebs from a local breeder who bought 14 from a hatchery (sorry, I have no ideas what hatchery). I was suspicious that they were even really Sebs but they are just gorgeous, they are into everything we do here and get on great with the dogs, chickens, cat, turkey pair and guineas and they like people too. They are the meet and greet team when anyone drives in. SO FAR, they are excellent but they are young so I'll have to post updates next year when they get broody. I can set on the lawn and they sit down around me and start nipping grass and talking to me. I call out goose goose goose and they literally run to me, wings stretched out.

They hardly looked up when I arrived home with the latest "bird", a male swan. They have their own pond though and prefer to wander around the yard and barn and pasture so there isn't any competition there.

Here is a pic I took today of one of mine (I have 2 female and a male). Just keep in mind they poop a Lot and all over if they're free range like mine and mine love to come up the steps to the front porch. They have learned the term "OFF!" lol The dogs remind them sometimes but they don't take them as seriously as "Mom" (me). We're slowly learning where to poop and where to stay "off" of.

8809_08sept2010_0.jpg

Sebastopols are a very nice and friendly breed of geese. They are also eye candy!

You have your choice of colors also!
This is Pinky-my breeding
goslings1351.jpg

Her Mom, Zoey-my breeding
goslings1352.jpg

Champagne from Vicky Thompson What a perfect head!
goslings1349.jpg

Last edited:
I have Embden, American Blues, and French Toulouse. The Americans by far have been the most affectionate. Leopold loves to give goose hugs and crawl in my lap. We did have a few "discussions" when the first breeding season arrived....but now he is a perfect gentleman. I have 8 and 10 yo boys, and they can tell all my geese what to do and where to go.

They are my favorites on the farm.

Quote:
Please-please-please share with us how you taught them the term "OFF".

I've been trying to teach my goose to leave certain items - among them the cats - alone, but he seems to be a r-e-a-l-l-y slow learner.

Yelling or screaming at him gets his attention for a second, but he seems to find that amusing. Shoving him away only works for the time it takes him to walk back to whatever he was chewing.

As for spraying water at him - well, I haven't tried it, but I'm guessing it will be like water off a goose's back...
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom