Best friends

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Downshifting, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Downshifting

Downshifting Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    A little background: I upset the order of things in my pen on Sunday by sending my roo and two ladies off to a new home. I had also been convalescing a couple of girls (a RIR and a Brown Leghorn) in a dog crate right next to the pen. I decided that since removing the roo would upset the pecking order somewhat, it might be a good time to put the two that I'd been keeping separate back in with the rest of the girls.

The little Brown Leghorn was noticibly agitated by being in the pen with all the other chicks. Her buddy, the RIR seemed to be trying her best to calm her down and keep the other girls away from her. At one point they both climbed up on a roost pole and the little RIR snuggled up next to the Brown Leghorn and when she fluffed up and settled down on the pole, little RIR put one of her wings over the other little girl and they just sat there. Completely coincidental...yes...but incredibly cute nonetheless! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

And what makes you think it's coincidental?

All together now: AWWWWWWW!

Thanks for sharing these photos and the story behind them.

3. Downshifting

Downshifting Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote:I think I tend to emotionalize and humanize the antics of my pets somewhat. Although, even after 2-days they are still practically inseparable.

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    That is so sweet. [​IMG]

5. TcherDawn

TcherDawn Granite State Chook

Jan 30, 2009
    Prescott, AZ
    Awwww.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It's good to have a friend

7. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    When one of my EE had pasty butt and was looking a little weary, I cleaned her up and gave her special attention. When she went back in the brooder, one of my BR cuddled right up to her, and covered her with her little wing when they went to sleep.

Chickens definitely have feelings, and look out for one another. You are so lucky you caught it on camera [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by