Best gander defense

I ended up with too many ganders after I parted out most of my Buff flock. Central Michigan isn't too far from Missouri, right?
smile.png

I also found an extra Buff goose I had overlooked. If you need more I could do a reverse trio of sorts (two ganders and one goose).

American Buffs are worth their weight in gold and more people definitely need to get into them. But I'm still slightly more smitten by my Pilgrims and don't need two obscenely large flocks of geese - sectioning off one pasture is more than enough for them
smile.png

Vicki, I'm in N VA. My Buffs are from May or so and I don't even know which are ganders yet, though you or someone else would probably know what's what.

Oh, BTW, my dream goose was originally the Pomeranian, only because it's rare and pretty attractive and I have a Pom dog - but I know nothing of the temperment. Didn't order because the breeder/hatchery didn't a simple online ordering method but would've had to mail the form or call. I'm happy with what I do have now, anyway. They really cruise the field and it's so much fun to watch them run at top speed without really lifting off.

Production Toulouse (hatchery/non-dewlap) are friendly and chatty, but can become aggressive and loud toward strangers. They're bred for meat production, not for personality, and tend to reflect that. I had a pair of Toulouse we bought as goslings that were extremely friendly. They never attacked anyone who came into the yard, but they were _loud_ so it was hard to talk over them.

Dewlap/Exhibition Toulouse I've never had, but people who have had them have said that they're extremely quiet and docile. If you're starting in raising geese I wouldn't recommend them. They're extremely expensive and are difficult to raise due to a lower fertility, mostly because of their large size.

I'll be coming 100+ miles closer to you on Saturday. I'll be very close to northern Missouri to go to a large poultry sale. I didn't plan on bringing anything, but if you want to make an insane drive then I can bring them up. To be honest, I moved my extra ganders to the butcher pen to fatten up since I didn't want to winter them over. Seeing them go to good use would be nice
smile.png

Or if you're feeling extremely adventurous I can try to ship them out. Emphasis on "try" since I've never shipped live birds before.

When my gander got aggressive and tried to bite my behind I reached down grabbed his head (carefully under the chin) and had a heart to heart with him. Well ok actually it was more like ok you stupid bid if you don't leave me alone you'll be christmas dinner!! He never came at me or anyone else again. Crystal

Quote:
i actually have a friend that raises them and said i can have some of his goslings when i want them, he has them for shows, and i saw the trophy shed from them( that thing was full) so i just had to ask about them...

Back
Top Bottom