best goat to own for milk?

Gonzo

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Southwestern, In
smile.png
what is thebest kind of goat to have for home milk production, and what does goats milk taste like? My ex-sister in law lived in Iceland, and thats all they could get, but I don't remember what she said it tastes like.. it's been almost 20 yrs ago... I'm trying to be able to rely on ourselves for some things, like eggs, milk, & veggies.....

Nubian, Alpine or Oberhasli in the full size arena. Nigerian Dwarf on the small goat side. We don't have Alpine. I hate Milking the small goats and the Oberhasli we have is very affectionate and well mannered. Guess what I recommend? She is giving us near 40oz a milking (80 oz a day). Can't ask for much more!

I don't have pictures on our website of all of our dairy girls, but hopefully I will be updating this week!

Chris

I forgot Lamancha... we are selling ours as she is just to big of a brute.

Last edited:
griffin45 You forgot Toggenburg...
smile.png

gonzo&hispeeps-
Nubians have the highest butter fat mine milk a gallon to a gallon in a half a day..
Toggenburgs they can be a pain in the but but the one I have milks a-round 3 gallon a day so ill put with that little pain....
Chris

I believe nigerians have a higher butterfat content.
hide.gif

I know the best ratio for feed to milk is a nigerian. Cost little to feed and gives you the most milk, for that ratio. 1-2 quarts of milk a day and mine eat 1-2 cups of grain and free range hay.

Nubians and larger breeds will give you more milk but cost more to feed.
Me personally , i wanted nubians cause they are so cute! But got nigerians cause of the cost ratio. Lamancha's are really cute as well, i like their tiny ears.

gonzo&hispeeps-
Here is a picture of one of our nubians and our toggenburg not the best picture but they should do.. They a 2 year olds and first year milkers and I would say 16 weeks milking.

DSC0084_084_061.jpg

DSC0086_086_063.jpg

Back
Top Bottom