Best goose breed?

Funny how this topic reappears every few months and the responses are pretty much the same as usual. I think it has more to do with individual goose temperament and how raised than it does a specific breed. With that said, my favorite breeds are dewlap Toulouse, Africans, and production Toulouse. My least favorite are embdens (sorry Patti).
No need to be sorry Janet. lol I can say I love my Embden gander but the breed isn't for everyone. They do tend to mellow with age. But maybe it's not temperament you don't like maybe looks? they do have gorgeous blue eyes.
smile.png

I have 2 American Buffs' that I absolutely adore !!! They are both so friendly, the gander more so than the goose, but she's coming around too. I can't do anything in my yard without their 'help'. And if I stand in the doorway, but still inside the screen, they'll HONK for me to come out and then rush to greet me when I do! I just love them so much, I can't believe it took me nearly 20 years to finally decide to get them !!! What's that they say...If I only knew then...

Agreed on general characteristics specific to breeds. Also agreed that what one person may see as a desirable attribute is not what another sees. The same goes for dog breeds, horse breeds, etc.

Patti, I love the embden's look as I am very partial to the heavy breed look. It's the temperament that I do not like. I have met more than a few not so nice personalities and it seems to be prevalent in that breed.

I have 2 American Buffs' that I absolutely adore !!! They are both so friendly, the gander more so than the goose, but she's coming around too. I can't do anything in my yard without their 'help'. And if I stand in the doorway, but still inside the screen, they'll HONK for me to come out and then rush to greet me when I do! I just love them so much, I can't believe it took me nearly 20 years to finally decide to get them !!! What's that they say...If I only knew then...
lol.png
Stole your heart, then! Jolly good!
big_smile.png
btw, that one´s looking to be a female, don´t you think?
Agreed on general characteristics specific to breeds. Also agreed that what one person may see as a desirable attribute is not what another sees. The same goes for dog breeds, horse breeds, etc.

Patti, I love the embden's look as I am very partial to the heavy breed look. It's the temperament that I do not like. I have met more than a few not so nice personalities and it seems to be prevalent in that breed.
With me, it´s the chinese/chinese types, including African types/mixes. They´re quite popular around here as guard geese, and totally fear-inspiring! Even their owners give them a lot of space and scuttle past!
lol.png

Most folks stay well away from a house that has them.
My dear little souls live on the reputation that the asiatics have as far as visitors are concerned, although they´re totally mild.
wink.png

Last edited:
Why Thank You So Much livininbrazil !!! I'm glad you noticed. Gabi is finally 'coming 'round', as we say. I'll be sure to tell her how much more feminine you think she's become. You know...just to keep the ball moving in the right direction, so to speak! Can't have her back-sliding into gander land again...lol !!!

I do have a question, though...It seems my gander, Gus, has some feather tufts that protrude in the area just below his lower

eyelid. The feathers are not growing from the eyelid itself, but are coming in just below it. I know what entropion is, and it's not that, but I'm worried that it may become bothersome to him and start affecting his eyesight. I've seen him rub his face against his body on occasion, and even saw him scratch at it with his foot a time or two, but not knowing his true intention for doing so, I'll have to admit that he would've just been preening...IDK! Anyway, he doesn't seem too distressed about it at this point, so I thought I'd just keep an eye (pun intended) on it and hope the feathers fall out soon. What do you think...??? I really don't want to have a go at them with cuticle scissors or anything, but I'm at a loss as to what else to do...Any suggestions?

Why Thank You So Much livininbrazil !!! I'm glad you noticed. Gabi is finally 'coming 'round', as we say. I'll be sure to tell her how much more feminine you think she's become. You know...just to keep the ball moving in the right direction, so to speak! Can't have her back-sliding into gander land again...lol !!!

I do have a question, though...It seems my gander, Gus, has some feather tufts that protrude in the area just below his lower

eyelid. The feathers are not growing from the eyelid itself, but are coming in just below it. I know what entropion is, and it's not that, but I'm worried that it may become bothersome to him and start affecting his eyesight. I've seen him rub his face against his body on occasion, and even saw him scratch at it with his foot a time or two, but not knowing his true intention for doing so, I'll have to admit that he would've just been preening...IDK! Anyway, he doesn't seem too distressed about it at this point, so I thought I'd just keep an eye (pun intended) on it and hope the feathers fall out soon. What do you think...??? I really don't want to have a go at them with cuticle scissors or anything, but I'm at a loss as to what else to do...Any suggestions?

Hi. The reason I said about the female is that in the pic, her body sits low. (she appears to have short legs) A gander´s body sits higher.
With the feathers, I´ve nver had that. Maybe post on the Buff thread, it could be some quirk of the breed. I expect he can see the feathers and they´re annoying him. I would think that as long as nothing´s penetrating his eye, then you should be able just to snip the end of the feather to stop it being a nuisance?

Yes she does...(have short legs that is) !!! You should see her waddle...
bun.gif
I think I'll have to build her a ramp to go up and down the stairs of my deck since her little legs just aren't long enough to make it without tripping.

And about the eye feathers...
After posting, I gave it some more thought and decided that if I were Gus, those feathers would certainly bug me! I mean, it drives me bonkers when I have even the smallest of smudges on my glasses. So tonight I'm going to give clipping them a try. Thanks for the idea about posting on the Buff thread. I hadn't thought of that, and I will...

Thank you guys all for the input and please keep it coming. I like learning about the different breeds. I really want a goose! Does the temperament change based on gender? Or do they basically act the same?

Also has anyone ever raised a Canada Goose? What kind of temperament do they have?

Thank you guys all for the input and please keep it coming. I like learning about the different breeds. I really want a goose! Does the temperament change based on gender? Or do they basically act the same?

Also has anyone ever raised a Canada Goose? What kind of temperament do they have?
Do you just want one goose really? A solitary goose can be a sad little thing. Geese, being flock birds, need 24-hr company. You´d be far better off getting two females.
Gender does make a difference, yes.

X2 !!! You most definitely need to get at least two geese! Even if your goose has a duck friend, it's not the same as having a companion of the same species to hang around. Geese are intelligent and very observant and they WILL know the difference between a duck and another goose!

As far as Canadian geese go, I do believe that you need a permit from the U.S. Department of Fish and Game in order to buy, sell or own one. However, hatcheries like Metzers will do the permit process for you if you purchase your geese from them, but you'll have to order at least 6 goslings and there is always a waiting list.. From what I've heard, they make good pets and although they can fly (and oftentimes do), you can have them pinioned as day olds or clip one wing every 6 months or so to keep them in your yard. But please, please, get at least two of whatever you decide to get. It won't make a difference in their attachment to you if you get them as hatchlings and raise them with care and love.

Back
Top Bottom