Best goose food

Mdwfolsom

Hatching
Jun 7, 2017
I rescued an adult African goose but he is not eating well at all. Any ideas of foods that they might really like? I've tried several greens but he doesn't seem to really like any. He seems lonely so I will probably get him another friend.

Grass (number 1 on the goose menu!) black sunflower seeds, (corn on the cob with a small chunk cut out so they can start it!), watermelon, kale, strawberries, green peas (they love!!!peas), corn kernels, oats, wheat, half a grape, scrambled eggs, these are my geeses favorites so far. Good luck!

Grass (number 1 on the goose menu!) black sunflower seeds, (corn on the cob with a small chunk cut out so they can start it!), watermelon, kale, strawberries, green peas (they love!!!peas), corn kernels, oats, wheat, half a grape, scrambled eggs, these are my geeses favorites so far. Good luck!

These are just treats he really needs either unmedicated chicken feed or a waterfowl feed

Hello: My name is Tina and I live in WA state.
I have a gaggle of 14 Embdens. I am constantly on the search for things to feed them. Present time they are on Purina Flock Raiser, whole wheat, chicken layer crumbles. This is mixed and the 14 are given
20170524_162634.jpg
20170624_140306.jpg
5-6 coffee cans of feed at night. They go out at 7 am and come back in around 9 pm. They have their pools in the pasture they go out to. The grass is pretty much dead now. I am doing research on growing FODDER for them.
** Has anyone fed their geese pelleted hay soaked in water? I can get Timothy or Alfalfa pellets.
** Is there a preference in wheat vs barley?
** I can get COB which is corn, oat, barley. I get concerned feeding rolled corn. To easy for mold spores to hide.

Timothy kid probably be better my geese won't bother with alfalfa. Whole or rolled wheat or oats soaked in water is a great option. mine love wheat and barley both. Black sunflower seeds and cracked corn.

I have also been researching on growing FODDER for them.
** When you geed BOS, do you feed the shelled or the unshelled version?
** What is TO MUCH protein level.
The gaggle ranges from 6 weeks to 3 years old.

Sorry to necro but seemed an appropriate thread to ask rather than start a new topic;

frozen veggies good for geese? Clearly thaw them first but I don't always have fresh on hand as a treat and I wondered if this would be just as good? Cauliflour, Broccolli etc?

Sorry to necro but seemed an appropriate thread to ask rather than start a new topic;

frozen veggies good for geese? Clearly thaw them first but I don't always have fresh on hand as a treat and I wondered if this would be just as good? Cauliflour, Broccolli etc?

Most definitely! You should consider checking out this duck treat thread. Most of the treats apply to geese aswell. Remember everything in moderation though.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements.242460/

Back
Top Bottom