Best Grit/Oyster shell canisters?

I use this for my grit which I keep outside, it has little holes in the bottom that lets the water drain out. I keep the one with oyster shells in the coop.
1621616584323.png

This is my grit container. I periodically add sand that I know has lots of grit-sized grains of sand.

Searching out and scratching for grit gives them more things to do. Mine need that because I can't let them free range.

Attachments

• 65455238-6707-4FF2-9C25-AF7EE91A041D.jpeg
    65455238-6707-4FF2-9C25-AF7EE91A041D.jpeg
    891.9 KB · Views: 9
When they get close to laying, I will add an oyster shell container. I haven't made it yet but plan to use a glass bottle upside down over a small, relatively deep crock - like a few inches wide x a few inches deep. I've been collecting bottles with different sized mouths and different profiles of shoulders to experiment with. I'd like to use an antique bottle, just for fun, but function is more important.

When they get close to laying, I will add an oyster shell container. I haven't made it yet but plan to use a glass bottle upside down over a small, relatively deep crock - like a few inches wide x a few inches deep. I've been collecting bottles with different sized mouths and different profiles of shoulders to experiment with. I'd like to use an antique bottle, just for fun, but function is more important.
Hi. I love the idea of using unique crockery and containers, too. I’m just curious what you ended up with? any pics you can share? thx

I'd avoid glass out there, use something else. Here we use either dishes, or metal feeders for grit and oyster shell, separately. You could scatter the grit around the edges of your run, let the birds find it themselves.
Mary

I have Ducklings and I bought 2 heavy ceramic bowls from the "buck n a half store" with higher sides that are straight, and in the brooder they sit on pieces of marble so the ducks have to hop up on the marble (or brick) and then stretch a little to get to the bowl. It doesn't keep the water clean from the Ducks swimming in it, but it discourages them a little. Chicks won't go swimming but are known to kick a little dirt around while scratching.

Attachments

• 002-bowl.jpg
    002-bowl.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom