Best ground cover for the run.........Need Idea's

I put mason sand in the run and it was great for a while but now when it rains it stinks until it dries out. We use hydrated lime and work it into the soil so when it dries out it doesn't smell so bad. I am very interested in this topic because I have tried everything else except the gravel idea and they have all resulted in the same muddy smelly mess. I will try the gravel though...

i have a thin layer of landscaping stone in my run...with a corner full of sand so they can dust bathe or whatever is is they do with it...and inside my coop..over the vinyl floor..i use pine shavings....but i like the pea gravel in my run..it hoses down easily for cleaning....and they like to scratch around and under the rocks to find treats and bugs...Wendy

Quote:
How do you rake the poo out of wood chips?

How do you rake the poo out of gravel? Actually with wood chips the chickens will turn it over as they scratch etc. and it'll compost into the soil... we use it in our dog run, and as the dogs play and run and the rain comes in, most of the poop gets turned under and decomposes relatively quickly. We change our wood chips every spring, rake them out and put a new layer in.

Quote:
3 - 4 inches of sand in the run and use pine shavings inside the coop .

Do you buy the pine savings by bulk or by bag? I have a lot of area to cover.

I buy the shavings by the compressed bags at 5.50 a bag . BUT I am sure you can buy in bulk from cabinet shops , etc.

I use pine shavings in my coop and in my chicken yard. It used to be landscaped with grass and plants, etc. The girls took care of that. I have been adding shavings all summer- and I add about one bag a week. Now my entire 18'X 25' area is covered. I mix sweet PDZ in every time I add a bag. Before falls arrives here, I will have a very good layer of shavings down. I also put sand down all around the coop. I don't see much sand any more because the girls dig down to the dirt below and mix everything up.

After a rain, the yard dries up pretty quickly.There is no odor.

Quote:
What is PDZ?

Also known as Stall Dry. I mix it so it isnt available for the chickens to eat- though they claim it is nontoxic. It absorbs liquid. Not unlike kitty litter.

Back
Top Bottom