Best ground cover for the run.........Need Idea's

Quote:
The gravel sounds like a good idea.........I suppose the poo washes down through it with rain or a person could hose the gravel to clean it.

They REALLY LOVE the straw. When I put new straw in........they stay busy for hours scratching and pecking. I'm not really sure straw is good though. Now I read where it can have lice and mites.

I don't know where to find DE around here or Stall Dry so I use sevin dust with the straw.

I wish I knew what is best for them and me. I've tired of the muddy mess.

straw can cause impacted crops. If you put a cover over the pen, they will get sun if they hang out closer to the of the run, the sun will shine into the sides as it rises and sets, right? I'd use sand and gravel. With the roof over it, it will not get natures washing, but your girls will be able to hang outside in all weather! Pro's and con's

I put 1/4 inch gravel in the run today. I LOVE IT!!! I raked out the straw and had 10 yd. delivered by 10 this morning. Heavy stuff to haul but it's worth it. It's kind of like a gravel/sand that they use as a base under blacktop. The poo should wash through it. But, if it hardens like they say, it might wash off of it.

I still have the straw in the coup and will probably replace that with pine shavings. Anyone ever hear of using saw dust in a coup? One of my friends suggested that for the coup only.

I still have a huge pile of the gravel and I can think of many uses for it.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice.

Quote:
Well , since is NOT plain gravel , any idea what its called ? Could it be ballus ? I used that years ago in my driveway and it was like a gravel mixed with powdery substance . I was told to hose it down real good and it would harden . IT MADE the best driveway

They just called it 1/4 inch gravel........but it sure sounds like what your describing. I asked if I should wet it down but he said no because it was already wet from recent rains. It has the powdery substance and it is very fine.

I might water it tomorrow and when it hardens I think I'll add another layer. I really think I'm gonna like this stuff.

Hi, So on my enclosed chicken run is open without a covered top on most area... if I get #4 gravel and put down do I have to put bigger gravel on top or just use #4 only and it would work good?? How thick do I put it?

And how often do you add more?

Thank you,
Ta

Back
Top Bottom