Best guard animal against hawks (besides dogs)???

My favorite guard 'animal' for chickens is the .22

With exception of the dog option which has been ruled, the .22 as extention of the keeper is best. Many species have been listed as potential guardians but problem exist, especially with birds. The birds are attacking predators they have fear of. They do so often at considerable risk to themselves. Also their defensive activies are not predictable or are limited to breeding season. Ideal livestock guardian can defeat predator with minimal risk to self, deal with multiple predator species, operate all hours, provide alarm to get you involved and be tolerant of conditions required by free-range poultry.

I think I'm going to try the local feed store for a few. They said that they would order some on their second order of the Spring, sometime in April/May. I'm glad I stopped in: by the time I placed my chick order with Murray McMurray hatchery, the Speckled Sussex were unavailable until late May, but the feed store will have some next month. Whoo hoo :)

My son and his buddy were up in the early morning hours (on a Saturday!!) because I mentioned that I've seen an owl roosting in one of the pine trees in our yard..alas, no luck. I doubt highly that they could've hit it anyhow, as I didn't allow him to bring out more than his BB gun..I'm well aware that it's illegal to shoot owls. I just wish the stupid thing would find another tree! It's ginormous..bigger than the red tailed hawks that I've seen around here.

Interesting about the owl. I wonder if it will claim the hawks' territory. There is a Hawks/Owl strand here on BC that might help with ideas. I also imagine the more human traffic/noise near the Owl's roost the less desirable it will become.

Until you get some "live guardian" critter or come with better solution, try this old fashion way:
Collect several empty beer cans and hang them on some sort of string, then tie that line/string about 7 feet in the air
from tree to tree or from house to tree, etc...
They will be banging by each other and making noice, which may scare away flying predators.

I live in Florida and have abuncha hawks here. But i have a hawk alarm system intact. Any time hawks come around they are preceded with a loud flock of Turkey Crows that just go nuts!!! So when the crows come and start alarming my hens get close to a hiding spot and roos have heads up and are watching!!! Which is sweet cause mine are free range from 0600 til they roost in the run then I lock it up overnight. We have lost 2 roos and 2 hens in 5 years so it could be worse!!! Love them Turkey Crows!!!
love.gif

I have guineas and they sound off when they see or hear a hawk, but it doesn't stop them. I've lost 2 roosters in the past few weeks to hawks. Even though the roosters were bigger than the hawks, it just goes to show how vicious they are.

Back
Top Bottom