Best guard geese???

beccaWA

Songster
9 Years
Feb 22, 2012
Eastern WA
Hi, there. I've kept chickens, ducks, and turkeys in the past. Now, I just have a very small flock of chickens. I let them free range on my fenced acre, and they're pretty good at looking out for hawks. However, I'm wanting to expand the flock a bit more and also add ducks back in. The term "sitting duck" definitely is true. They are predator magnets in my experience.

I'd like a guard goose that will not be TOO aggressive towards humans, but that will protect the flock from aerial predators. I'm thinking a female, as I've heard stories of male geese trying to mate with or not getting along with ducks.

Also, my setup is that the flock free ranges over the entire acre. Thus, I'd like it if the goose did not attack any visitors to the house I might have!

Those of you who have a guard goose, can you tell me your experiences? What breed? How did you raise it? Do you keep them separate at night? Do you have male/female? I'm interested in hearing from people that have a single guard goose. I'm thinking a Buff female. I have neighbors and I guess Buffs are not as loud and more docile, but I'll hear it!

Thanks!!!

a single goose will be very lonely. I must try to dispel the myth that they they are guardians. They are alert animals so they will scream to let you know that a predator is eating one of your flock. They are subject to predators themselves. Geese are most effective against humans but not other animals. Please consider a pair. If you handle the Gander often as a baby, they are usually only aggressive to strangers. They are wonderful animals, just not livestock guardians. I do have to say my gander cornered the Comcast repairman and I had to rescue him.:celebrate

My two emdens are sweet hearts so far.. to me. I tried to handle them as much as possible as babies and I try to go out there every day and spend time with them.
They seem to get a kick out of grabbing the chickens..when they can however, and they certainly aren’t nice about it. Plenty of pulled out tail feathers.
They all share about 500/sq ft of space that includes a pond but sometimes picking on the chickens is still more amusing to them.

Buuut They happily hang out with the ducks in harmony and they’ve alerted me to diving hawks by screaming at the top of their lungs but they definitly weren’t diving in front of any bullets so to speak, they were running away screaming with the rest of the flock lol
All that being said, every goose is different.

Embden geese are usually a docile breed and are known to be very protective of the flock. My embden gander I hatched is very protective of my flock and alerts to anything and everything he thinks is a threat (even airplanes that fly over), but is usually very friendly since he was handled a lot as a gosling.
African geese are pretty loud, and mine are slightly aggressive compared to my embden, but the african gander is actually friendlier than the African goose. Africans would also be a good choice if you wanted to be alerted about predators or threats.

a single goose will be very lonely. I must try to dispel the myth that they they are guardians. They are alert animals so they will scream to let you know that a predator is eating one of your flock. They are subject to predators themselves. Geese are most effective against humans but not other animals. Please consider a pair. If you handle the Gander often as a baby, they are usually only aggressive to strangers. They are wonderful animals, just not livestock guardians. I do have to say my gander cornered the Comcast repairman and I had to rescue him.:celebrate
Geese def are not guard birds. I agree with you completely. And that is hilarious about your gander cornering your Comcast repair man lol any one wanting an animal for a guard animal should look into LGDs or if they have the space donkeys or llamas

:goodpost:

I guess I'll have to break from popular opinion. Our geese definitely act as guard dogs. We have 4 pilgrims, 2 male 2 female, and they have no problem facing down the neighbors golden retriever. They run up to him when he comes barking and they honk and hiss until he stops. Don't get me wrong, I know they can't actively defend against most predators but they have been enough to scare many things off. A cat was stalking some ducklings and the geese scared it off. They keep our two St Bernards away by nipping their tails. Hawks have watched the flock from trees but have never successfully nabbed a duck (knock on wood).

Ours are completely friendly to humans so far. My five year old and his friends handled them from a young age as did I. They haven't attacked or chased any children or adults yet. They're a great addition for a little extra added protection but don't think they'll be fighting off foxes or raccoons.

I currently have two pairs of white Chinese geese. I love them so much. As others have stated, they can’t protect your flock from major threats, such as coyotes or foxes, but certainly will alert you of danger. I used to have two other ganders, that would follow people around the yard, or when we were walking in our small field. They would never hurt anyone, and there was nothing they loved better then to be hugged and kissed. They meant everything in the world to me, I can’t even express how much I loved them. The older of the two, who was around 20-25 years old was killed by a coyote two and a half years ago, and still it feels so empty without him. You can’t protect your geese from humans either. My other gander, Mochi, who wasn’t even two years old was hit by a car this March. The person was on their phone and speeding in a 25 mile per hour zone, and the geese were just grazing near the side of the road. These animals will steel your heart, but they have been worth it for me in every aspect. Good luck.

So sorry for your losses.
I too am madly in love with my two geese and can't imagine this place with out them. My oldest being 11 yr youngest 6 they aren't protectors of any of the birds we have,exception being the gander is body guard to his mate.

Back
Top Bottom