Best gun for varmints

also had my eye on a cimeron? .22 revolver (6 shot) nice gun. I carry my savage on my trap line when i run one will get the job done if you've shot at the range with something that has recoil you won't have a problem with a 22 and cheap enough you could even brush up. could probably find a tactical light for night use if you needed. they come in bolt or semi or you could even go with the crack shot (single) they even make the crake shot in pink if that struck your wifes fancy. the only problem i've come across in possum but a boot heel to the head when they play dead finnishs the job.

I have a 22 longrifle with a small scope on it. I have it set good enough that I can shoot blackbirds with it up to 40 -50 yards away. So targets like coons, possums, and groundhogs are fairly easy to hit. Also it doesn't make that much noise when fired at night in case you have neighbors that live close.

The best of both worlds is a Combo gun, over/under, with the top barrel a rim or center fire and bottom a shot gun. I have one that is a .17/20ga. One for range and the other for movement. I don't think most people are very accurate with pistols, especially at long range and with an adrenalin rush going. Many pistol bullets start to tumble very quickly and loose accuracy fast, the .25 is one of the worst, it probably tumbles within a few feet after leaving the barrel.

I also swear that my .17HMR is THE BEST round that I have to tend to our coyotes, foxes, bobcats and dogs. I could use almost any caliber out there since I have many to choose from, but my .17 is always with me when I am out side working or driving around on my polaris ranger. I keep the .17 handy at night with a spot light and laser light attached to the scope. The .17 is quiet like a .22, costs about .30 cents a round ($15/50), shoots flat and gets to the target SO fast that when it hits it darn near explodes. I use hollow points and I can tell you, NONE of the predators I shot even came close to walking away, they just fell and died. I use a .300WSSM Browning Stalker as my deer and elk rifle, while I love the way it shoots and its range, I would never use that large of bullet arround where I live, it is an overkill for most predators, same could be said of my 30-06, .308, 7mm, 8mm, etc. I do however like my 22-250, but it is a lot louder than the .17. The only ammo I have for my .223 is FMJ and it would pass right though an animal and keep moving to the next county. I stopped using the .22 and .22 mag because it did not seem to be as effective on the larger predators, I had a lot of walkers with them.

I think I saw where savage makes an over under combo would be a good option for this use i'm not sure how high they run though could also get a slug barrel for it i would imagine. .22 lr and a shot gun as far as coyotes i would used something along the lines of a the smallest caliber deer rifle i could find. When i would hunt them with out the sight hounds we used a 30-30 or 30-06 then a .22 pistol to finnish but i wouldn't shoot anything smaller than a coyote with those we shot a fox once and blew the who belly out. As far as bobcats go i won't kill one unless it's fur is prime with a fair cat selling for $200 whole and frozen right now. I would think that with your sent around you shouldn't have much problem with bobcats anyway they're the shyest critter there is in my neck of the woods only seen 3 in 21 years.

.223 for out to 200 yards, .22 for up close preferably a handgun and make it a revolver so you can shoot shorts(their quite, if you need it to be). 7.62 ammo prices are silly right now along with the prices for the guns. .308 if you want to reach and touch something at distance.
if the wife is going to use it there are some very nice air powered pellet guns on the market these days. some reach 900-1100 fps. and are fairly quiet.

I like my Judge Revolver. It's a good close range weapon that can shoot a 45 round or 410 shot. We have rifles for shooting further.

Edited for quote of previous removed post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom