Best hatcheries?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by dwdoc, Jan 1, 2014.

1. dwdoc

dwdoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Seffner, Florida
    Last year about this time I ordered 25 Australorps from McMurrys, out of the four I kept only one lays. She is the only one who has fully developed waddles and comb. The other three, even though they are a year old, have very small imature looking waddles. I don't know if they came from bad stock but they are unproductive.

So I need to order new birds and don't want to go back to McMurrys. I am looking for suggestions. Thank you.

2. rottnwarrior

rottnwarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2013
    Conklin ny
    I ordered my birds from Mt. Healthy last year and I'm more than please so far. They are black jersey giants that are 4 months old so they have some growing to do but they are already quite tall. People are surprised at their size. No defects I can find and were and still are very strong healthy birds. Ordered 15 pullets, they sent 16 and only 1 is a roo. Which is what I was hoping for. They arrived right on time.

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    McMurray is one I would never recommend. I've had their stock and lots of bad genetics within it. Out of 25, only 8 were keepers. That's not a good percentage. I've been happy with Privett, where other folks I know who have good judgement, and live out East, like Meyer Hatchery. Cackle Hatchery also has a good reputation from what I've seen.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  4. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    I've always had good luck with Cackle Hatchery in Missouri, and they are pretty good on prices.

5. ImpulsiveFarmer

ImpulsiveFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Chautauqua County, NY
    Mt. Healthy is where my BA came from and I had great luck with them (I bought them at a Tractor Supply in NY and that's who supplied them). If you are not in a rush and don't care if they are straight run I here good things about Sand Hill. I've never gotten BA's from them, but they breed for production so I imagine their BA's are good producers. I have some Black Jersey Giants I'm very happy with from them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by